Snots in a 200mm block cavity

CalvinHobbes

Hi, so we are going up with block and a 200mm cavity. We are obviously intent on keeping the cavities clean. Any tips? I read this thread, will it work on ours? (We tidy, clean snots and take pics, 🐕 brought dog which is very confused where our old home went)

20230601_193606.jpg

Edited by CalvinHobbes

As your build goes up your Brickies or more likely you should rattle your cavity ties I normally use a 3 meter length of metal conduit Simply put it down en the cavity and give each tie a tap I normally do this at chamber height then just before the roof goes on 

• Thanks 1

The socks worked well for us, but we had a TF inner.  I'll defer to @nod on this one since he's the one with brickie expertise. Even so it all depends on how particular your brickies are. Some are very clean and hardly drop any snots into the gap, and some couldn't give a toss. In this last case, snot build up above the DPC can be a real problem and cause a dampness bridge if not properly mitigated, IMO.  In our case we lived adjacent to the build site so we could clear out the socks and reposition them each night after the workmen left for the day.  This meant it was zero hassle for them.

You just need to agree a workable approach with the tradesmen onsite and check that they are following it. Are you filling the 200 void with insulation? Maybe using some runs of ABS or metal gutter resting on the tie rows might work just drill a hole in one or both ends and tie a cord to it so you can pull it out if it does fall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HughF said:

Be aware of the price of 200mm cavity ties, they’re eye watering…

Not much to be done about that apart from shopping around online. We got a far better price than my builder got with his full discount from TP.

• Like 1

A quick blast from a hose pipe with a jet nozzle will easily remove fresh snots a long way down the cavity. But not on fresh work (which the brickies should be cleaning anyway) and using a regular hose pipe, not a pressure washer.

• Like 1