How many bricks a day can you lay?

Jeremy Harris

Or those horrible reclaims we've used that we're +/- 15mm in every dimension ..!! 

I saw this a while back - you would think it would lay a decent bed and then just butter the perps. Wastage must be huge ..! 

5 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Churchill was reputed to lay 200 a day, and to write 2000 words a day. A healthy blend, I feel.

I was taught to lay bricks when I was about 11, by the builder who was building an extension to our house, to provide a ground floor bedroom for my parents, plus a self-contained flat for my grandmother (I still have the bit of bent, galvanised, bucket handle the builder gave me to point up with).

My father was a great fan of Churchill (the "S" in my name stands for Spencer, my middle name, and named after the great man).  My first ever brick walls were for a curved, raised, rose bed, raised so my father could access his roses.  I remember the summer I built those walls vividly.  My father was sat in his wheelchair on the lawn, listening to the cricket, and reminding me every half hour or so that Churchill would have laid twice as many bricks in the time than I had..............