New flooring advice

AdamD

I am looking to replace the carpet with wood flooring in our home office, but have fixed units which I don’t intend to move so looking for some advice as to the best approach. Not as easy as flooring a clear area so any tips appreciated.

- box room converted to office with units and a desk

- square room so ordinarily a nice easy job

- what would be the best way to install the floor up to the units?

- how would you finish the edging where the flooring hits the units?

some pics attached 

IMG_7293.jpeg

IMG_7292.jpeg

7 hours ago, TonyT said:

Appreciate its nit what you want to hear, but best to remove desk and have an empty room to lay flooring otherwise it will look shit

It’s not just the desk though, it’s all the units around the room. Really not worth the hassle for the size of the room.

So even with normal wood flooring edging you don’t think it’s a goer?

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

Not much point doing beautiful new flooring that stops suddenly and awkwardly.

But what do you mean by units? Like kitchen units or built in wardrobes?

Kitchen units and desk 

IMG_7299.png

Edited by AdamD

Going to look a lot better if you have a clear room, I guess you could cover the edges with beading, but IMO it will always look bodged and you'll struggle where the end panels meet the floor

I’m assuming the kitchen base units carcasses are not on the floor and are sitting on some sort of low platform or plinth for the doors to open.  Also assuming the carpet runs wall to wall and underneath the units.

If there is a a low removeable plinth that gives sufficient access underneath the units to remove the carpet and allow you to floor under then your remaining problem is the end panels which if only screwed on could be removed or the bottoms cut down using a multi tool in same was as you would do a door jamb.    That has risks though and it would probably be easier just to remove the units as suggested.

Only other solution would be to cut the carpet around the base to remove visible carpet.  Then floor up to units with minimum expansion gap and use a sealant around.  To be honest the time and effort to do any of these issues probably wouldn’t be worth it and there would be high risk it would look sh&te as a few things could go wrong.

other option perhaps is wood effect tiles that your can tile right up to the units.   If the units are sitting on the underlay and carpet you’ll have to put in new flooring at last that height, obviously.  

I don’t think there’s an easy way to replace that carpet with a wood floor.  There are not that many units to remove TBH.