Fire barriers required behind cladding.

Just a heads up. I'm planning on building in Block and Block rendered on the external bottom half, and clad in Hardi plank on the top half.  Now the medium density blocks are not flamable, and neither is the cladding. However, the cladding will be mounted on timber battens and will therefore have a ventilated cavity behind it.  My understanding of the current building regs is that i am going to have to have a fire stop in this cavity.  Because the cavity has to remain open, i am going to have to get something like Tenmat FF102/50.  For me to put a band around the bottom of the cladding, and a band around the top, i'm  going to need about 150m of the stuff It's blinking £25 a meter ! That's about £3750.......Yikes, that is going to be painfull on the budget.

Can anybody tell me i dont need it ?

As a second question. Do i now need to close off the top of my cavity ? I'm having a cold roof, and have read that moist air in the cavity can rise into the roof, and cause damp/condensation.Is this the case even though i am having a full fill cavity ?

Thanks for all your help as usual.

Google found..

https://www.labcwarranty.co.uk/technical-blog/cavity-barriers-behind-decorative-cladding

Therefore, to satisfy Building Regulations there should be cavity barriers installed in the cavity formed behind a ‘decorative cladding’ (such as timber boarding, hung slates or tiles etc. or any other finish) which is constructed onto the outside of an external wall masonry wall.  

This will include concealed spaces behind cladding on detached houses as well as semi-detached and apartments/flats.

I have a small area of vertical hung tiles on battens so my house built in 2007 would no longer comply.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Big Jimbo said:

i am going to have to get something like Tenmat FF102/50.  For me to put a band around the bottom of the cladding, and a band around the top

And something similar where the cladding has a window in it?

• Like 1