PV on a flat roof, how far from the edge?

Smallholder

23 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Those roof panels (the SIP ones) were 9mm OSB.

But you could fit butterfly types perhaps.

Similar in principle to the Nichols plates are the hook bolts on roofs, for fixing safety lines. Because of impact and sideways forces these needed 4 proven (lab tested) screws, only 2 screws considered to be in tension, and a high f of s. 

These worked, but into 2mm steel, not osb.

So I'm confident of your recommendation, 4 screws in straightforward tension. 

1 minute ago, saveasteading said:

But you could fit butterfly types perhaps.

Similar in principle to the Nichols plates are the hook bolts on roofs, for fixing safety lines. Because of impact and sideways forces these needed 4 proven (lab tested) screws, only 2 screws considered to be in tension, and a high f of s. 

These worked, but into 2mm steel, not osb.

So I'm confident of your recommendation, 4 screws in straightforward tension. 

They will grip like shit to a blanket tbh. Nothing stopping the plates being bonded also, FWIW.

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Nothing stopping the plates being bonded also

Yes, anything that can spread a load is helpful, pick the correct adhesive and it tensile yield point could easily be greater than the screw/OSB interface.

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes, anything that can spread a load is helpful, pick the correct adhesive and it tensile yield point could easily be greater than the screw/OSB interface.

Just a matter of how well the membrane is bonded down under it though, I suppose. These plates go on retrospectively, after the membrane has been laid.

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just a matter of how well the membrane is bonded down under it though, I suppose.

That's true though only (expletive deleted) don't use GRP.

2 minutes ago, saveasteading said:
7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

pick the correct adhesive

I foresee the board delaminating. Screws are good.

Those as well.  Personally I like to design in 3 methods of retaining something when it fails.

So screws, adhesive and the DC cables.

Had a long discussion with a train driver about bricks though the window.  It is not all about stopping failure, just making sure when failure happens, it is low energy, predicable and noticeable.

You mentioned the Wobbly Bridge the other day.  That did not fail, as such, was just a bit wobbly when too many sheep like people walked on it.

12 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

wobbly when too many sheep like people walked on it.

Getting sheep to march in step would be tricky.

Out of step was OK, and nobody foresaw the general public behaving like that. 

It was a comfort issue, not safety although a deliberate attempt to make it sway might have been an issue.

Many bridges (and cathedrals) were optimised through unexpected failure, pre- modelling.

So ' not falling down' is a success.

On 28/05/2023 at 15:18, Nickfromwales said:

Any space for a ground-mounted array or create a structure to take even 4kWp? 2kWp is better than nowt!

Well we do have a couple of steels in the roof so may look at the plans and see if we could use them to then build a frame from (using Nicholson type robust waterproofing detail). 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 13/04/2024 at 08:29, NandM said:

@Nickfromwales - how many of those Nicholson plates per sqm of roof?

It’ll need to be designed as fit for purpose via an MCS installer / software. MCS ensures a safe installation, so dictates things such as this eg fixings et-al. Not sure where DIY begins / ends if part of the fabric of a dwelling (in-roof) and build warranty etc. 

Do your checks before writing any cheques.