Plywood prices

I called at the plywood merchant today for a pack of structural ply 

and was told if I hang on till next week ALL there prices are coming down 

Makes a change 

So anyone buying Hang on a week or so 

I picked up 15 sheets of 25 mil OSB

while I was there £12 per sheet plus vat Massive place but stocked to the rafters 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

That is a bargain.  I can only just lift a 25mm sheet of OSB / ply.  Hernia time for me!

I’ve just taken 10 upstairs for wind racking When I get time to build the timber studs 

You don’t see them that thick on site 

Im not sure what they use them for 

It’s nice to have something coming down in price 

• Like 2

Yes sure 

The way they were talking it sounds like the reductions will be across the board No pun intended 

They where packed to the rafters with  sheet materials 

Nice to be talking about reductions 

I buy a lot of insulated plasterboard 

I think that will be next 

The insulation stockist that I use is running stock down 

As the increases are not sustainable 

good news for all on here 

image.thumb.png.3a28f87a5c8d98a4e5cd03fe7ccd25f4.png

• Thanks 1

I saw a US video that said pre pandemic 1/2" 8x4 sheets of OSB were $8. That's £6! I doubt we had that in the UK though.

Can remember a Chippie suggesting £1/m for 4x2 in about 2019.

In 2020 I was happy with £1/mm thickness for basic plywood 8x4.

Edited by MortarThePoint

Hmm, I just order a dozen 2.4m x 0.2m x 0.1m treated softwood 'sleepers' at £30 ea. Felt like biting the bullet on this order because they used to be near half that price last time I bought some a few years ago. If timber prices really are about to drop it will be just my luck.

15 hours ago, nod said:

Looks fine to me 

I think it’s what was left over from an order 

image.jpg

I'm envious of how tidy you site looks. Mine is a tip as I have materials everywhere. Be it inflation, lack of availability or tiles made in Ukraine I've ended up not getting things as needed but as possible. Annoying as it gets in the way.

7 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

I'm envious of how tidy you site looks. Mine is a tip as I have materials everywhere. Be it inflation, lack of availability or tiles made in Ukraine I've ended up not getting things as needed but as possible. Annoying as it gets in the way.

I think the tidiness comes from doing most things ourselves 

We work all day and leave half an hour at the end of the day to tidy up

Something that most trades don’t seem to get 

1 minute ago, nod said:

I think the tidiness comes from doing most things ourselves 

We work all day and leave half an hour at the end of the day to tidy up

Being tidy improves productivity.

In my experience, it tends to be one or two people that make all the mess and slow everyone down.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

My home site is also a mess and it's depressing, but I can't somehow get a handle on it - same as you ever since covid/brexit/materials supply issues have caused some materials to pile up while wiating for others. Sometimes I think it's because of the scale of doing a whole house as a one man band and that there ar constant family pressures hanging over me. Meanwhile...

10 minutes ago, nod said:

somehow, while my self build is a mess, I seem to be able to tidy up everything everyday and as I go at my customer's sites, but on sites where I've worked with other trades, I'm constantly having to move their (expletive deleted) crap out of the way! On one site, I'd asked them and the customer to clear a whole load of space so that I could drill a few cores and run pipework through and area ready for next day. They cleared it all out for me and when I arrived the next morning, the builder had stacked all his sh1te in the very space he'd cleared out for me and left site for the day, plus all I did was move materials, tools and mess out of the way for the entire 5 days I was there!!!!