Hello

2 hours ago, SelfbuildNovice said:

Sooooo the pantry utility is really the garage with a utility & pantry created at the top end of the room.

That explains the size, how come it’s not named accurately?

the front elevation design is to be in keeping with the street view 

Is that something you’re happy with or feel you have no choice over?

The roof space for PV- was told we can get a good number of panels on the south facing part of the roof

Which is the south facing part of the roof?

• Like 1

Hmmmm.

I'm taking the back as South facing - due to panels.

You don't mention budget, and really we need a plot-and-adjacent houses plan to evaluate a lot of stuff.

This look to me like a £2m-2.5m project, perhaps more if passive since everything will be slightly gold plated and perhaps ph-certified. That is based on average 150sqm per floor (arguably an underestimate) x 4  x £3k per sqm plus expensive bits such as the 4 storey lift and architect and extra height.

I'm also thinking its a tightish streetscape for the size given the depth to width and the wise decisions to put habitable rooms facing forwards and backwards.

For me it has the feel of one of those huge houses on a small plot on the way into London. You look at it, think "house", then realise it is like a tube of toothpaste squeezed sideways with an extra floor and twice as deep front to back as anything in the provinces, due to London land prices.

I think the solar is imo marginal for a huge house - 10 panels is what goes on a 3 bed Barratt semi. I'd say you need 3-4x as much if you want to impact for bills and supply required; go for the full 10 kW peak install imo - if serious. Can you add more on outbuildings or the ground? I have 35 1mx1.6m panels on a big 4/5 bed house 1/3 of the size of yours. Unless these are special elephant sized solar panels?

On layout I think you are under-living-roomed and over-bedroomed on balance. I think there are not enough separate spaces for people to get away from each other, except for bedrooms.

IMO relayout the au pair lair with a kitchenette and sitting / dining area to give a private space. Should be doable in the same floor area, or borrow a little from the huge cinema.

What is the reason for that glass ceilinged corridor in the cinema room?

On minor stuff that will need detail sweating later that I noticed in passing, I think your bathroom door may clonk the knees (or the butt) of a bidet-user.

Is your lift travel height (4 floors) beyond the domestic norm, and going to boost the cost? AFAICS a big travel distance is about 13m vertically - and you may just have squeaked in.

I think I would suggest that, as often happens in self-build, perhaps space efficiency is not as good as possible - so maybe try to modify the plan to be 10-20% less floor area without losing any features. IME constraints are always good for architects. That could perhaps save £250-350k on the price if my numbers are about right. You can never do too many thought experiments in advance; its an insurance policy at getting things that you dislike when its too late.

Wishing you all the best.

Ferdinand

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Russdl said:

Is that something you’re happy with or feel you have no choice over?

Hmmm was going to say ‘comfortable’ but no, I am happy because I see it as a design that won’t date or look out of place in a few years time. My primary focus is future proofing the house & getting the inside as functional and comfortable as I possibly can within our budget

Agree with the the other person about not making the au pair feel second class: give them a nice space/view/privacy with the same standard of luxury as you are fitting the rest of the house with.  Helping them feel welcome and appreciated will hopefully start you off well, in what is a complex relationship. 

Edited by Jilly
  • Like 1

@SelfbuildNovice have you got someone onboard with passive house experience?

If you do still plan to go down the route of Passive Haus certification then the PHPP will greatly inform the design.

Currently your east elevation has a lot of glazing which will lead to significant overheating without suitable shading as will the roof lights over the kitchen/snug (that is likely to be a very light/bright room, do you need those roof lights?)

Regarding the garage, I’m guessing it’s never going to have a car in it so is it necessary? The garage door is not the only problem regarding passive house, it’s also how you get from outside to inside without creating a huge thermal bridge at the floor. 

Good luck revisiting the plans. 👍

• Like 1

On 27/06/2023 at 08:37, SelfbuildNovice said:

I possibly can within our budget

Start here. Knock 1/3 off and work to giving the builder that amount. We had 300k. Paid the builder about €200k to finish their job. 

We spent the rest on kitchens, tiles, flooring professional fees, painting, curtains, some second hand furniture etc. It quickly adds up. 

Any particular reason for ICF?

Similarly any particular reason for passive house? 

• Like 1

On 28/06/2023 at 05:30, SelfbuildNovice said:

@Ferdinand thank you so much for your valuable insights. Well wishes much appreciated. It’s back to the drawing board armed with all comments  here.

Thanks for the reply.

I was slightly concerned that I was being too vigorous in my feedback, but most of us here lewarnt long ago that it is far better to get too much early rather than living for the next 25 years with a window in the wrong place.

Can I add a bit more about the Au Pair space that I had not noticed. I am not sure that a basement room with a light well is adequate. I think it needs windows, or moving to a secluded spot on another level.

One possible option would be to move your "secondary means of escape" round the corner to be outside the Au Pair room (or give the Au Pair room a wall on the end facade), and turn the "secondary exit area" into a possible mini-patio garden (maybe only 4mx4m, easy maintenance, say coloured pavers, where an au pair could put a table and chair and a tub plant for private sitting out), and have the secondary exit going through it.

Have you considered your personal lifecycle? I can't imagine a nuclear-family couple retiring to a place this size, unless you are from a background where extended family living is the norm, as is also becoming more common amongst tradition caucasian-British communities. You could do something wild like provisioning for easy conversion to 4 apartments, you keeping the Ground Floor one to .. er .. "decline and die in" (Copyright Lord Morris of Castle Morris *).

Ferdinand

* Quotes from a column. "I have bought a small Manor House in Derbyshire to decline and die in" by Lord Morris of Castle Morris circa 1991. It was (and is if Lady Morris is still extant) in the village of Foolow near Edale. I knew the Deputy Duck Warden, who supervised the ducks on the village pond, where Lady Morris was the Honorary Duck Warden, who got the prestige but did not have to let the ducks out and put them away in the village duck house each day.

Just thoughts.

Ferdinand

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 28/06/2023 at 12:12, Iceverge said:

Start here. Knock 1/3 off and work to giving the builder that amount. We had 300k. Paid the builder about €200k to finish their job. 

We spent the rest on kitchens, tiles, flooring professional fees, painting, curtains, some second hand furniture etc. It quickly adds up. 

Any particular reason for ICF?

Similarly any particular reason for passive house? 

Icf because it’s quick, no need for separate insulation for the most part & a concrete build is strong/sturdy

PH because we want the house very well insulated for comfort regardless of outside temperature. The passive house has a ready made template to follow to achieve this. The certification just provides added confidence for a future buyer should we ever wish to sell.

Apologies for the very late response, I couldn’t access my account for a while. Thanks so much for responding

On 28/06/2023 at 08:04, Russdl said:

@SelfbuildNovice have you got someone onboard with passive house experience?

If you do still plan to go down the route of Passive Haus certification then the PHPP will greatly inform the design.

Currently your east elevation has a lot of glazing which will lead to significant overheating without suitable shading as will the roof lights over the kitchen/snug (that is likely to be a very light/bright room, do you need those roof lights?)

Regarding the garage, I’m guessing it’s never going to have a car in it so is it necessary? The garage door is not the only problem regarding passive house, it’s also how you get from outside to inside without creating a huge thermal bridge at the floor. 

Good luck revisiting the plans. 👍

We plan to have external retractable shutters on the sliding doors and also on all roof lights. I have seen a few companies that have them for flat roof lights. We really want that space to be flooded with light.

we actually intend to have a car in the garage. Can we not get one in with the dimensions provided? it’s just a normal full size sedan. 

Currently on the hunt for a passive house & ICF experienced architect / consultant to help us.

Thank you for your response and well wishes. Very much appreciated