Weed control fabric

Looking at the landscaping fabrics that Screwfix stock, they all seem to say something like "Allows water and nutrients to penetrate soil." yet they appear to show a woven product like this:

40521.jpg.7133a04904b41e2c9061683e3882551e.jpg

Now I thought "woven" types were impermeable to water and only the ones with tiny perforations (like Tyvek or teabags!) were . What am I missing?

Afaik the woven fabrics do let water through but at differing rates. The white stuff lets more through again. 

I did find a research pain the subject once upon a time but don’t know where that is now. 

the data sheet for the fabric should have details of water permeability rates. 

might’ve been this one https://onlinepubs.trb.org/Onlinepubs/trr/1981/827/827-001.pdf

Edited by Thorfun
Added link to research article
  • Thanks 1

It does let water through.  

The fabric with tiny holes punched in it let vapour through but not liquid.

The fabric shown prevents weeds from growing up through it, but seedlings germinating above it can get their roots down through the weave.

27 minutes ago, joe90 said:

recommends using old carpet (he is a hippy though 🤷‍♂️)

Old carpet made of wool on jute backing  yes.

A scabby modern carpet of plastic pile and foam rubber backing, buried in the ground forever,  no. Bob flowerdew would surely agree.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Thorfun said:

the data sheet for the fabric should have details of water permeability rates. 

Browsing a few datasheets for different types, Water Permeability seems to range from 10 (woven) to 75 (non-woven) l/m2 /s 

If those units really do mean l/m2 per second then they're all probably just as goo

d as each other when sat on a thick clay bed which itself is pretty impermeable.

22 hours ago, saveasteading said:

The fabric shown prevents weeds from growing up through it, but seedlings germinating above it can get their roots down through the weave.

That could be handy in a shallow bed!

8 hours ago, joe90 said:

Bob flowerdew

Really?

😆

Well thanks all. I'm going to go with a woven fabric due to the clay surface it's going on top of. Probably don't even need it as the area has been stripped of topsoil and turf/weeds but cheap enough to do anyway.

• Like 1