Do we pay vat for the survey and setting out?

Hello

The land survey, yes, only stuff that can be claimed VAT is materials and stuff done by builders, which shouldn't be charged.

But, that said, do you already have planning and is the setting out being done by a contractor.

If this is part of the preliminaries to get planning then you have to pay VAT on all that stuff.

My Accountant (Wife) has been very clear about what I claim for regarding VAT. HMRC has a web page devoted to self build VAT reclaim but the short version (Rules of thumb), you can claim for items that form the fabric of the building. So nails and screws but not sandpaper or tools, you can't claim VAT on labour so if you buy a "package" it's a single item but if you employ a builder you can only reclaim the materials. Ask for any bills to split the materials and labour so you can reclaim part of the cost.

There's lots of information on the self build magazines or HMRC itself but you will need an interpreter 🤣

• Like 1

Yes on the land survey. My setting out was part of the total groundwork package so was zero rated. Broadly I’ve tried to get as much as possible zero rated as it’s better for cash flow and reduces the amount you need to reclaim. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Yikes so if I had if got the setting out as part if the land survey it could have been zero rated but because I didn't they can now charge me and I can't claim it back?

No you pay VAT on the land survey but if you get the setting out done as part of the groundwork package they can zero rate it. 

The land survey is part of your due diligence before you buy the land generally so none of that is claimable. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1

Land survey and setting out of the site boundary would be standard rated as needed for the Planning Application.

Sometimes a level survey is needed for sloping sites. It would normally be needed by the architect so hard to see how it could be done as part of setting out the foundations.