Converting into 10 student flats (meters)

Hello,

I am converting a property into 10 student accommodation flats.

A three-phase supply is required and we received an offer for an MSDB board 180KVA.

Today I was told by National Grid, that with an MSDB board we will require 10 separate meters in either the rooms or the communal areas.

As this will be student accommodation and all bills included, I'd rather have one meter positioned in the existing meter room.

National Grid told me that for this, only with a Cut Out will it be possible to have one meter only.

Can someone please help me out with this?

- What is the difference between a Cut Out and MSDB?

- How does the difference between the two impact the number of meters required?

Have you checked with the college what their metering requirements are? They may be happy to include bills but they may like to know who is using what and if you ever change to an HMO you may then want separate metering yourself. @pocster will be along shortly, not an early riser, I have no doubt he will have an answer.

They are proposing a 260A 3 phase supply.  You won't get that with a single meter easily, it would have to be a current transformer meter at that rating.  It is possible (or certainly was possible) but it won't be what you recognise as a simple "supply head"

It would still be via a Multi Service Distribution Board to split into separate feeds.

Why do you want that much?  180KVA is 18KVA per flat, so that is an 80A feed to each flat.  What are you putting in the flats that needs that much, a shower, sauna, and all electric heating?

I think you need to properly design the installation, work out the real loads including diversity and when you are clear what you want, get them to re quote.