EPC ‘advisor ‘

My own build is fine .

But some rentals are C and some are D .

It’s important to note 2 houses I have are identical yet one was a C other a D . We know epc rating are “subjective “ with a lump of 💩 on top .

As I need C’s - how do I influence that ?

Not a dodgy backhander .

In reality you want the guy to compute it there and then - but they don’t .

Showing some insulation between rafters in part of the loft ( where you can access it ) doesn’t convince them the whole roof is insulated ; as it’s not visible .

The twatty epc suggestion of cavity wall insulation for 20k to get 3 extra points doesn’t appeal too me .

What to do ? 

Edited by pocster

To further add

1 property has a modern boiler with automated heating and got 5/5 

Property on otherside of street with identical boiler and automated heating system 4/5

It’s only 1 point . But when you just need to squeeze a few extra ….

Or do I just bitch and complain to a regulator and get my ‘D’ upgraded to a ‘C’ ….?

21 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Are the easy things like low energy lighting, controls on heating, double glazing already done.

What does the EPC say are any weak points.  Do they still recommend a wind turbine?

Yeah all the easy obvious things done 

I’m sure when the guy did my self build epc that solar panels and batteries didn’t count towards it - but they do yes ?

If so is my solution to get one of these “ we fix pv panels for free “ companies to stick ‘em on my D roof . Company gets the excess pv generation money . Tenant makes a saving . It all costs me nothing ! 

It might be that property with a D rating had the latest available boiler fitted in 2020.

The same boiler may have been fitted in 2021, but improvements in technology may have meant it was no longer considered the most efficient available.

A don't know if energy ratings of boilers changed, but certainly electrical items did https://markselectrical.co.uk/connect/energy-rating-labels-have-changed.html

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

It might be that property with a D rating had the latest available boiler fitted in 2020.

The same boiler may have been fitted in 2021, but improvements in technology may have meant it was no longer considered the most efficient available.

A don't know if energy ratings of boilers changed, but certainly electrical items did https://markselectrical.co.uk/connect/energy-rating-labels-have-changed.html

The C and D properties i mention had both their boilers replaced in weeks of each other .

But I appreciate what you are saying .

It would be nice to ask the question “ if I did this , this and this “ how many points would I score ?

Obviously everyone would choose the least hassle / cost to gain the EPC they require .

What really bugs me is a LL must get a C or above yet everyone else can live in an F if they wish .

LL has an F ; not cost effective to upgrade so sells it . Presumably buyer isn’t a LL . New owner will spend more on paint and a new bathroom . So an F rated property still exists in the market ! . Just gone from 1 list to another tick list .

We just sold a leasehold flat near Manchester City Centre because it was a D rating. Owned it from new in 2004/5. 

Just didn't want the hassle of going to the freeholder to obtain consent to get the changes. Also what happens if the whole block is not done and mine does not get up to the requirement? The owner occupiers in there do not want to pay tens of thousands of pounds to get from D to a C. Stupid ill conceived idea. 

Luckily we got it through before the CGT changes came in.

We would have preferred to keep the flat from an income viewpoint. We have two other properties which luckily already conform.

A friend has traditional terraces in a Cheshire town and he says there is no cavity in some to insulate. The one's that have need that cavity for the building to breathe. He's sat on the fence about what to do. 

We have a renting crises and these stupid potential regulations are one reason why landlords are leaving the market by the masses. Tenants then complain that rents are up 20% and that every property up for rent has 20 to 40 people after it.

Government needs to make it attractive to keep or buy rental properties rather than making landlords out to be problem otherwise the supply will dry up. A serious lack of new build homes over the last 20 to 30 years has got us to this situation.

Edited by Happy Valley
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Happy Valley said:

We just sold a leasehold flat near Manchester City Centre because it was a D rating. Owned it from new in 2004/5. 

Just didn't want the hassle of going to the freeholder to obtain consent to get the changes. Also what happens if the whole block is not done and mine does not get up to the requirement? The owner occupiers in there do not want to pay tens of thousands of pounds to get from D to a C. Stupid ill conceived idea. 

Luckily we got it through before the CGT changes came in.

We would have preferred to keep the flat from an income viewpoint. We have two other properties which luckily already conform.

A friend has traditional terraces in a Cheshire town and he says there is no cavity in some to insulate. The one's that have need that cavity for the building to breathe. He's sat on the fence about what to do. 

We have a renting crises and these stupid potential regulations are one reason why landlords are leaving the market by the masses. Tenants then complain that rents are up 20% and that every property up for rent has 20 to 40 people after it.

Government needs to make it attractive to keep or buy rental properties rather than making landlords out to be problem otherwise the supply will dry up. A serious lack of new build homes over the last 20 to 30 years has got us to this situation.

Couldn’t agree more as a full time LL .

Sad thing is that it’s a “ vote winner “ to demonise LL’s . Tories do it and Labour imply they’ll do it more .

Many people want to rent not buy ( I’ve lived in over 5 rented properties ) . Where and how people work is somewhat different now . No job for life in the factory at the end of the street .

Over regulate , over tax , over burden - so LL’s leave which then makes it worse .

Of course the ‘public’ believe rent capping is the answer . But in Berlin and Paris ( from memory ) that in turn creates other issues .

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1

I’m actually evicting a hmo of 6 working professionals soon .

Why ?

So I can change back to students !

Bills all in their names ( currently I pay the bills )

1 contract - so they are all responsible for any damage anywhere e.g communal areas .

Believe it or not - will get higher rent 

Also ( subject to the tenants reform bill ) they would have a periodic 12 month contract . So I can get back my property if and when I need to I.e assuming the no fault eviction BS comes in ; which it looks like it will .

6 hours ago, pocster said:

LL has an F ; not cost effective to upgrade so sells it . Presumably buyer isn’t a LL . New owner will spend more on paint and a new bathroom . So an F rated property still exists in the market ! . Just gone from 1 list to another tick list .

Some proportion of the properties sold will get a more comprehensive retrofit - either by owner-occupiers or by landlords willing to accept a finer margin - so it's not zero-sum with regards to housing stock quality.

As to your dilemma, you probably want to go down each of the listed assumptions in the EPC and see which ones you can document as being better than the assumption. https://files.bregroup.com/SAP/%23RdSAP Conventions 11_3_from 01 March 2022.pdf lists a whole bunch of things you might be able to work on, too.

Wonder if any EPC assessors give you the full worksheet?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Nick Thomas said:

As to your dilemma, you probably want to go down each of the listed assumptions in the EPC and see which ones you can document as being better than the assumption. https://files.bregroup.com/SAP/%23RdSAP Conventions 11_3_from 01 March 2022.pdf lists a whole bunch of things you might be able to work on, too.

That's a fun read! What's the significance of "Suppression of recommendations" - I doubt that if there's a reason to  suppress a recommendation, it gets you extra points. Otherwise what does it accomplish?