Mvhr with standard Cooker extraction

Has anyone fitted an mvhr unit with a standard Cooker hood in kitchen. About to fit my zehndher this week. Our house which is being renovated had a standard extractor hood which my wife loved and was relatively quiet. The rental property we are staying while work is being done has a recirculator which is loud and the air blowing my wife does not like.  I can see her point as the type of cooking we do does have a lot of grease.

The house is not going to be super air tight (not the greatest builders but we have accepted the pros and cons of mvhr already and proceeded to go ahead...will be doing aerobarrier at some point to catch up). Is the negative effects that great not worth considering. My thinking is that only when in use it will cause slight depressurisation and I will loose usefully heat but won't disrupt the mvhr when not in use.

If the house really is "super air tight" it will need mvhr to meet building regs.

Perhaps you have the wrong make of recirculating cooker hood I don't find ours any noisier than a venting one (some of those can sound like a jet engine at full speed) and ours exhausts the air at the sides and we don't notice it.

With a non-recirculating extractor, every ounce of benefit the MVHR provided that day will be obliterated the second you put lunch on. Go see some "less crap" recirculating extractors before you base everything on one piece of junk ;) 

For the short time an extraction hood is *actually* needed, some of us are happy to put up with this "loss of benefit". After all, we each live in a home, not a showhouse.

/ run-of-the-mill cooking like a wee bit of steam coming off your pot of spuds is dealt with just fine by MVHR with the extract placed in the vicinity of the cooker. But burn the toast or fancy a bit of stir-fry? I'll vent that out urgently thankyouverymuch.

I have MVHR with an extract at the kitchen end of the kitchen diner room, the dining end an “input”, re circulating hood and if I burn the toast or excess steam can switch to boost the MVHR. If it’s really bad I just open a couple of windows for a few minutes. So many external fans have plappy fins that dance in the wind and are a permanent draught.  

Edited by joe90

It's the grease I worry about...dpmiller did you extract out? It's that balance of Airtightness and a practical home. Our cooking produces a lot fo grease. And smells that not sure a recirculating can handle..seen the filter on those that just have mvhr in the kitchen.. clogs pretty quick.

Are there any recirculating models that have the ability to still house a a mantle on top of the Cooker...cannot dee how possible?

1 hour ago, health mechanic said:

In what way joe

Healthy vs lots of grease!

note, if you want to reply to someone use “@joe90” and pick their name from a drop-down list and they will be notified. 👍

Edited by joe90

So if you do lots of frying

Don't let airborne grease anywhere near your MVHR, as ducts will get coated and dust will stick etc.  They will get clogged. Your kitchen extract needs a grease filter in it and it needs to be cleaned often.

Your cooker hood can be either extract or recirculated - your choice.  You need to read specs, grease filter performance varies hugely from about 20 to 80% efficiency. Recirculating you need a carbon filter to capture smells, get regeneration ones, wash frequently.

Good cooker hoods are expensive, you also need to read the instructions for install as they have very specific height requirements, most fitters install way too high, distance from hob is critical to hood performance, too far away they are all rubbish.

51 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Good cooker hoods are expensive, you also need to read the instructions for install as they have very specific height requirements, most fitters install way too high, distance from hob is critical to hood performance, too far away they are all rubbish.

I am one of those "fit too high" people because if you fit at the stated height, it looks silly, and if you lean forward to stir a pan on the back ring you hit your head on the hood.  And I am not exactly a tall person.  I had to shorten the brackets on the present one as it otherwise would not allow it to go high enough for how I wanted it.