Cost of ASHP installation

I've posted this up on the ASHP thread as well but not sure whether it belongs here....

I'm working on a cost comparison between build it ourselves with frame and raft and using a turnkey operation (quoted). I've just got back an estimators on line document which prices most things for us doing it but omits the ASHP and MVHR.

The design is 178m2 of simple rectangle shape. Walls at 0.11 and roof at 0.1, insulated raft and triple glazed windows. Assume a very good Air tightness. I need a budget figure for an ASHP installation and a MVHR as these are included in the turnkey price and I need to compare the overall costs of each approach.

Thanks in anticipation.

Was at your stage 2019, so prices will have increased,  but my very vague memory was £10k ish for ASHP and £6/£7k for MVHR.  Give or take a grand or so.  Will be more than happy to be corrected by others with more recent info and/or memory.  I went for turnkey in the end so didn’t have the experience of getting loads of quotes.

And why would anyone pay £6500 for a cylinder. Unless as @Dave Jones says.

If you really have to go pre plumbed go on eBay and pick one up for £800.

I have just done a 6kW ASHP install for £2500 (less the cylinder) as I didn't need one.

• Like 1

@kandgmitchell  so here’s me trying to help you….and for my efforts….

so as you can see you others have suggested it may cost way less than I remember, but of course it all depends on how you define what your ASHP system to include.  Whether it’s a cheaper brand, or expensive, whether your definition of ASHP system does or does not include a cylinder, where you buy it (eBay etc), and whether you consider an ASHP system to include oversized rads and UFH, or not, and whether your install it yourself or not, or get some bloke off Facebook, or a reputable installer.  And of course whether retro fit or new build with no.  VAT     Because my own system was included in a whole turnkey package the £10k I mentioned may be a figure to include the whole central heating system supplied , quality products, and installed.  certainly not just the ASHP and certainly not done on the cheap.  But I just can’t remember.  But that said, 

https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/advice/air-source-heat-pumps/

they say between £7-£13 k.     

but you have weigh what EST and I have said against what others are saying.  The only accurate cost will be what your spec is and what you actually pay for it.

11 hours ago, JohnMo said:

And why would anyone pay £6500 for a cylinder. Unless as @Dave Jones says.

If you really have to go pre plumbed go on eBay and pick one up for £800.

I have just done a 6kW ASHP install for £2500 (less the cylinder) as I didn't need one.

That link was for a pump & cylinder package I think you’ve just read it as just a cylinder..

2 hours ago, Bozza said:

That link was for a pump & cylinder package I think you’ve just read it as just a cylinder..

Still not cheap and only a 150l cylinder, so not the best for a heat pump 

Thanks for the responses. I needed a ball park figure so I could compare the cost of one procurement approach over another. One had the ASHP and MVHR costed in and the other didn't. I've now got a better idea of how they compare.

• 4 months later...

For what it's worth octopus are quoting prices ranging from £500 -£2k for an install. My quote was £1450 for a five bed house 72sm gf footprint it includes: 6kw daikin pump,cylinder,pipework also any radiator and plumbing changes with a five year warranty.

So if you add the government's £7500 ..

£8-10k. 

12 hours ago, syne said:

For what it's worth octopus are quoting prices ranging from £500 -£2k for an install. My quote was £1450 for a five bed house 72sm gf footprint it includes: 6kw daikin pump,cylinder,pipework also any radiator and plumbing changes with a five year warranty.

£8-10k. 

I don't understand what assumptions they base their quote on, I was quoted for a similar arrangement at 5.5k, so £13k before grant. Bit of a postcode lottery it seems. I'm currently deciding if I can be bothered to get them to do they survey and argue for the quote to be reduced based on that, I think they are assuming I have microbore pipe and such which I don't.

14 hours ago, syne said:

£8-10k. 

I'm interested how much account Octopus take of different EPC values to give an appropriately sized ASHP. 6kW at 1600 sqft or so seems quite modest, so I assume they do actually notice it rather than install a behemoth by default.

My advice to anyone thinking about taking advantage of the Octopus offer (which to me seems very good) is to move quite quickly, as the last few years have been an everchanging kaleidoscope as schemes on offer have been driven by politics not long-term planning.

This particular £7500 increased from £5000 grant looks like a smokescreen to distract from all the other green policies being wrecked or cancelled by Rishi Sunak to create money to try and buy the next election with tax cuts. I am also not clear if they have specified how many will be available, as the UK ASHP market is roughly doubling year on year, so I can see it being withdrawn in a year or so because it is "expensive green crap", or if the Conservative Party gives us yet another "last Captain of the Titanic" who has a need for Potemkin policies to feed red meat to his Neanderthal wing.

My main now semi-retirement income is a portfolio of rentals, and I would be jumping on the offer but I only have one boiler that is older than 'recent' - having invested, or taken advantage of a couple of "free replacement boiler" opportunities over recent years (which also reappear then vanish).

So for me the probably better strategy is to wait for prices to fall, unless it will help me meet needs for a big EPC boost. But Rishi Sunak is such a self-serving political coward that he has also killed the excellent regulation of rentals by EPC, and just run away from any attempt to encourage owner-occupiers of old housing stock (which is the biggest problem) to invest in their properties.

So - having gone round the houses - suggest that the Octopus offer deserves a very serious look at this time.

Details of offer, which includes hot water cylinder, radiator work as necessary etc.

https://octopus.energy/get-a-heat-pump/

F

I got a quote of them yesterday, keen to take advantage of the above. They based it on the existing EPC of F. I told them I’m doing a deep refurb, and had calculated a heat loss of 5kw. They couldn’t adjust the quote based on what I needed, so needless to say the quote was crazy money. Advised me to requote once I had a new EPC 🫠

4 hours ago, LiamJones said:

I got a quote of them yesterday, keen to take advantage of the above. They based it on the existing EPC of F. I told them I’m doing a deep refurb, and had calculated a heat loss of 5kw. They couldn’t adjust the quote based on what I needed, so needless to say the quote was crazy money. Advised me to requote once I had a new EPC 🫠

This is interesting and could be the reason for my high quote as the EPC is very out of date. Waiting to see if I can get the quote adjusted after the survey.