Design ideas??

5 hours ago, Katie AG said:

Yes a mirror of that would work well on our plot. Do you happen to have link to the planning application for this so I can find floor plans and dimensions?

Nice but doesn’t inspire me - sorry.

1 hour ago, ETC said:

First Option. As tight as a nat’s chuff.

B0E8285C-ECE1-44C5-BF15-23E2258FD027.png

37C53F1A-212C-4362-A4E7-068E03447E35.png

Wow. Very cool. Thanks so much!

I love the double pitch with the flat roof in the middle with roof light in. 

you’ve managed to fit in everything which is amazing. However, it does only leave a very small garden, so I think ideally we would like to put a couple of rooms up in the roof to make the footprint smaller and the garden slightly bigger. I’ve attached a photo from a holiday home I saw online. I really like the way roof rooms are included (decor is definitely not my thing by the way, just just the concept!)
would a double pitch roof like that add on large amounts to cost?

BF055DA5-F8FA-4833-982F-A0677D9B36C5.png

From your earlier post your maximum ridge height is 5.7m. This is quite low to get any accommodation in using a pitched roof. I did have a go earlier and it wasn’t looking great. I’ll have another go and see what I can do. If you had a completely flat roof you’d be grand but I’m not a great fan of a complete house done with a flat roof.

8 hours ago, ETC said:

From your earlier post your maximum ridge height is 5.7m. This is quite low to get any accommodation in using a pitched roof. I did have a go earlier and it wasn’t looking great. I’ll have another go and see what I can do. If you had a completely flat roof you’d be grand but I’m not a great fan of a complete house done with a flat roof.

Yes I was concerned about this. However, someone on here (can’t remember who!) has built a house with 6m ridge height and they had 4m eaves which allowed more space in the roof rooms. I’m sure there are many structural things to consider, but would this be an option?

1 hour ago, ETC said:

Here goes. Option 2.

Still as tight as a mat’s chuff. 

9B0D6248-9410-4C08-8F50-B2CC73E470A1.png

ECC45B2D-551B-4296-BB13-EB2661976107.png

D607A053-64CE-4C35-95CE-F71B116E0941.png

EACFD101-225A-430D-8CC0-5D2C7C454F6B.png

6C90DF57-C899-41FE-8718-93BFA55D17B4.png

E4B41CBA-3B7F-4B8D-8071-555E038F65FD.png

Wow I really love this. This is exactly the space, look and feel we are going for! 

At the risk of feeling like I’m picking holes in it, I just have a couple of concerns:

1. I worry that gables in the roof wouldn’t be allowed due to potential ‘overlooking’ issues. I think the ones facing SE could probably be argued, but unfortunately I think the opposite ones would be disputed by our neighbours for loss of privacy and I think planning would take issue. 

2. I am still worried the garden would be too small. In theory a 8mx10m garden is decent, however, given the large sycamore in the back right corner is actually raised by quite a bit form the rest of the garden and has a root protection area of 8.4m, I think it would feel a lot smaller as that whole area could not be levelled off. 

I love the house having 2 parts as you have drawn and I love the flat roof in between, but I just worry it’s taking up too much garden and wouldn’t allow us to have any decent lawn area, which actually (as I’ve remembered today in the nice weather) is quite important with 2 kids!

I know we want a lot from a small plot and it may not be possible to get everything we want. I’m honestly pretty blown away with what you’ve come up with!

do you happen to know what the building footprint size is of option 2? And GIA?

50 minutes ago, Katie AG said:

Hi there,

Glad you like the look.

My answers below.

Wow I really love this. This is exactly the space, look and feel we are going for! 

At the risk of feeling like I’m picking holes in it, I just have a couple of concerns:

Be as picky as you want - that’s how you get what you need.

1. I worry that gables in the roof wouldn’t be allowed due to potential ‘overlooking’ issues. I think the ones facing SE could probably be argued, but unfortunately I think the opposite ones would be disputed by our neighbours for loss of privacy and I think planning would take issue.
If not gables then what would be acceptable?

2. I am still worried the garden would be too small. In theory a 8mx10m garden is decent, however, given the large sycamore in the back right corner is actually raised by quite a bit form the rest of the garden and has a root protection area of 8.4m, I think it would feel a lot smaller as that whole area could not be levelled off.

The footprint is still a bit on the large size. I’ll take another look.

I love the house having 2 parts as you have drawn and I love the flat roof in between, but I just worry it’s taking up too much garden and wouldn’t allow us to have any decent lawn area, which actually (as I’ve remembered today in the nice weather) is quite important with 2 kids!

I agree. The footprint needs to reduce. You may need to consider something a bit more compact rather than the two wings I have shown. Getting the head height at FFL is a problem.

I know we want a lot from a small plot and it may not be possible to get everything we want. I’m honestly pretty blown away with what you’ve come up with!

Thank you. Happy to help.

do you happen to know what the building footprint size is of option 2? And GIA?

I will work out the gross floor area tomorrow.
What’s GIA?

9 hours ago, ETC said:

Here goes. Option 2.

Still as tight as a mat’s chuff. 

9B0D6248-9410-4C08-8F50-B2CC73E470A1.png

ECC45B2D-551B-4296-BB13-EB2661976107.png

D607A053-64CE-4C35-95CE-F71B116E0941.png

EACFD101-225A-430D-8CC0-5D2C7C454F6B.png

6C90DF57-C899-41FE-8718-93BFA55D17B4.png

E4B41CBA-3B7F-4B8D-8071-555E038F65FD.pngFor some reason it won’t let me reply to the last message, so this is the best I could do!

I’m sure I’m not using the correct terminology, but by gables I mean the ‘dormer’ type ones in the upstairs rooms. I know they aren’t dormers. I think it would just have to be helix but I appreciate this would create headheight problems. Could we just excavate down a little? We are actually slightly higher than next door anyway (I think). 

GIA - gross internal area. 

I thought your programme may just tell you this, so don’t worry. I can work it out based on the measurements you’ve put on there. 

Just now, Katie AG said:

I’m sure I’m not using the correct terminology, but by gables I mean the ‘dormer’ type ones in the upstairs rooms. I know they aren’t dormers. I think it would just have to be helix but I appreciate this would create headheight problems. Could we just excavate down a little? We are actually slightly higher than next door anyway (I think). 

I thought your programme may just tell you this, so don’t worry. I can work it out based on the measurements you’ve put on there. 

*Velux

20 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

avoid long corridors.

Agree with this. And staircases should either lovely feature staircases that make a statement or hidden away taking up little space. One of the nice features about our HH Longhouse is the only corridor is short and the stairs are hidden between the kitchen wall and the downstairs bedroom wall. Consequently we have more useable floor space. 

@ETC Very nice design. We went to visit a HebHome that was sort of similar to this design. The two buildings were joined by a glass corridor effectively. It also had a large overhanging gable that was stunning. 

2A44264D-87A1-4BD8-AAE4-46B4C4CAE4BC.jpeg

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

Agree with this. And staircases should either lovely feature staircases that make a statement or hidden away taking up little space. One of the nice features about our HH Longhouse is the only corridor is short and the stairs are hidden between the kitchen wall and the downstairs bedroom wall. Consequently we have more useable floor space. 

@ETC Very nice design. We went to visit a HebHome that was sort of similar to this design. The two buildings were joined by a glass corridor effectively. It also had a large overhanging gable that was stunning. 

I love this!!

3 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Do you know your ridge height?

2 hours ago, Katie AG said:

@ETCwhat about just the left hand part on your design but a bit wider (by say a metre?). Could this mean slightly more roof space and then enough space to squeeze everything else in??

It doesn’t sound like much but it can significantly add to the cost. A friend extended the length of their design by 1.5m and it added £25k to the cost. 

4 hours ago, Katie AG said:

@ETCwhat about just the left hand part on your design but a bit wider (by say a metre?). Could this mean slightly more roof space and then enough space to squeeze everything else in??

The wider you go the shallower the roof pitch unfortunately. Of course the ultimate is to have a complete flat roof - no height issues anywhere. I had thought of this and there are plenty of examples out there of modern houses with flat roofs but I would only suggest this if I couldn’t get a pitched roof to work. 

There is also the possibility of having a wide dormer window which gives increased head height but it might not look great.

Don’t worry - I still have a few more things to think about. Watch this space.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Exactly what I’ve designed. (apart from the horrible timber cladding - should have used burnt larch).

7 hours ago, Katie AG said:

Aha. I’ve snuck a dormer window in on the elevations but in reality you can use roof windows.  If you look at the plans I’ve got beds against the external wall on the left hand side and the dormer windows overlooking the garden are that far away from the boundary that I don’t see an issue (although this may not be correct). The dormer I’ve shown is for the bathroom which will have frosted glass so shouldn’t be an issue.

I can easily let you know the floor area but don’t forget that I’m using a line drawing so things will change.