Recommended masonry bits

jayc89

I'm going through masonry drill bits like there's no tomorrow. Mix of fitting windows and battening out for internal wall insulation. Bricks are hit and miss, some incredibly soft, some, darker (near black), that are rock hard. 

6mm bit, 200mm (max working length).

Any recommendations?

Are we talking SDS here? If you're talking standard masonry bits for a hammer drill, then you're using the wrong tool.

I mostly used errbauer as they are cheap and I kept breaking tips on rebar, regardless of the brand, so went cheap. However, I had to drill a load of holes recently for resin anchors and realised they have terrible dust extraction. DeWalt much better and last a bit longer.

9 hours ago, MortarThePoint said:

200mm working length is a bit tough. Otherwise, Bosch CYL-3 from FFX are good.

I have a good 6mm DeWalt for the combi that's quite long. It has three flats on the chuck end as well.

SDS for the more grown up stuff

Looks like they have a 200mm CYL-5, ever used one of them?

18 minutes ago, markc said:

What drill (powered end) are you using? If masonry bits are not lasting it’s usually due to excessive rotation speed causing heat 

Just a cheap Titan SDS drill, which snapped my latest 200mm bit and a Dewalt XR 18v combi which I've chewed through a handful of smaller bits using. I've almost certainly had it set too fast. What's a typical "number" for drilling through masonry using a combi? 

3 hours ago, jayc89 said:

Just a cheap Titan SDS drill, which snapped my latest 200mm bit and a Dewalt XR 18v combi which I've chewed through a handful of smaller bits using. I've almost certainly had it set too fast. What's a typical "number" for drilling through masonry using a combi? 

Very difficult to say a speed number but to give you an idea of drill bit longevity, using a mid sized Makita sds (runs very slow but has a hard hit) I’ve done around 250 10mm dia and 80ish mm deep in an old cellar, some very soft and a lot of very hard bricks. Cheapie dewalt bit and it’s showing wear on diameter but still drilling well

17 hours ago, jayc89 said:

I'm going through masonry drill bits like there's no tomorrow. Mix of fitting windows and battening out for internal wall insulation. Bricks are hit and miss, some incredibly soft, some, darker (near black), that are rock hard. 

Any recommendations?

For common sizes in regular use I usually buy DeWalt SDS bits. I have however bought some of the Toolstation TookPak (I think they are called) super naff 22mm SDS etc. for boring 5-6 holes for conduit and pipe sleeves, did the job, cost less than £15 quid and are still on the shelf for the next time I need to drill a hole that big. However, my DeWalt SDS drills have seen me through renovation work, an extension, a garage and now building work at my parents house. Those are your common 5.5, 7, 8 and 10mm set which pretty much cover every fixing. I also bought a 16mm bit for doing the resin anchors, it was an Ebauer, its done about 60 holes now and still works well. 

I am running all of these on a corded Bosch SDS. 

On 01/05/2023 at 20:13, jayc89 said:

Any recommendations?

I buy packs from here: https://www.ukdrills.com/sds-drills good value and last absolutely fine with most of my holes being 6mm dia too. I did use the Bosch bits for a while but for some reason the tips kept on shearing off them so stopped using them.

All used with a Bosch SDS 18v with 2.6J impact but it has a fairly slow rotational speed with a 70% switch for soft start and slower speed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've always used Erbauer when I need something sturdy and reliable with drill bits. Personally I have found they are always the best for the money. They are mostly very affordable on ScrewFix.