Services

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I only used the Duct 56 because I had loads of it (still have, I think there are around ten lengths on a rack on my workshop wall).  We needed Duct 56 for the relocation of a phone cable that used to run overhead, across the site, and which was put underground when we took down the electricity pole it was mounted on.  Because the pole was an SSE one, we didn't have to pay anything to relocate the phone cables - some bizarre rule about only needing to pay for relocation if the pole is owned by OpenReach.  Anyway, we ended up with loads of spare underground cable and Duct 56, so it was easier to just use that to bring the phone cable into the house underground, too. 

I can't see why a bit of 25mm duct shouldn't do the job OK, as I don't think that OpenReach are fussy about what happens for the run into your house, they only seem to insist on using Duct 56 in some areas, too, as I seem to remember Dave saying that they still use armoured cable, buried direct, in Scotland.

Every build we've done, OR has simply dropped off a drum / coil of armoured cable for us to run from the boundary / pole, into the house. Cable buried direct in the ground, brought up into the house where we want the master socket.

58 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Don't forget to run data cables (or make duct provision) if you plan to have video / audio intercom on boundary and /or want access control of gates or entrances. I've just run an exterior grade ethernet cable to my kiosk from the basement plant room in black electric duct for this purpose ahead of completing the landscaping around the house.

I've got 3 running to the gates - master for the intercom, a second for an IP camera if I fit it, and the third for a potential sensor for the post box if that ends up in the wall. 

• Like 1

On 08/06/2017 at 13:29, Stones said:

Every build we've done, OR has simply dropped off a drum / coil of armoured cable for us to run from the boundary / pole, into the house. Cable buried direct in the ground, brought up into the house where we want the master socket.

That's exactly what they've agreed to do for me. I'm expecting the drum droppped off sometime next week. Taking a leaf out of others book here and running g it it the utility room then cabling off to where I want the WiFi  router. Unfortunately we are 6 months too late for a free fibre install as they did the whole village under some rural initiative. However, since we'll be the only house on the exchange on ADSL it may be interesting to see what speed we get with zero sharing and a cheap contract.

I emailed them back questioning it as it looked aimed at developers and not self builders, they replied "This is for self builds as well as for developers fill the form in for infrastructure and state for 1 premises and then go from there." - so that's what I ended up doing

If it gets you registered in the system that's all that natters. Next step should be an acknowledgement from OR with contact details for an engineer to see what's required, or At least that's what happened in my case.

1 hour ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

Any chance of posting a link, having trouble navigating the site. Not being lazy honest.

So it's now via the Cadent Gas website but takes you to the same NatGrid pages 

https://nggasb2c.natgrid.co.uk/ngcpt-service/index.html#/b2c/connection/theproperty

When you get asked if you want to have x metres on a private property, click the link below it to use the mapping tool. 

Many thanks

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

https://nggasb2c.natgrid.co.uk/ngcpt-service/index.html#/b2c/connection/theproperty

When you get asked if you want to have x metres on a private property, click the link below it to use the mapping tool. 

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

Doesn't work for me, says they don't cover my area :(

I've just arranged mine to come 3 metres across public land into the corner of my plot then 7 metres along a trench i dug to a meter box I installed into a boundary wall, which is 10 metres across the drive from my house.  £437

(my drive will be just about my most convenient thing to dig up if ever that was needed in future)

My understanding is that the gas must come out of the ground prior to entering the house.

Combined telecom and electric pole just outside boundary at same corner of plot, so same treatment for those.

Registered my development with open reach...recieved a letter with phone number of survey officer, he couldn't be more helpful, supplied duct and cable free.  I haven't yet contracted for a connection in any way or paid anything.

My understanding is that the telecom wire must come out of the ground prior to entering the house.

Electric connection £428+vat

My understanding is that it's optional for me to stay underground and duct straight into my basement utility room.

(my £4500 water connection enters plot next to the meter cabinets and will join the same trench under driveway.  My understanding is that it's optional for me to stay underground and duct straight into my basement, or insulate the rising pipe out of the ground against the house external wall.) 

On 6 August 2017 at 13:15, Bitpipe said:

We ran grey underground duct from the site boundary to the basement plant room wall

Did you make any service penetrations underground to your basement plant room?  I'm weighing this against trying to keep the house exterior 'tidy'.

metrcabinets.jpg

routefrommetrecabinets.jpg

5 minutes ago, mvincentd said:

Registered my development with open reach...recieved a letter with phone number of survey officer, he couldn't be more helpful, supplied duct and cable free.  

Which route did you go for registering the site ..?? The one that's linked above or a different route ..?? 

https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/property-developers/site-registration.aspx

- a new site that will be built in one phase

I seem to remember phoning them after submitting online to confirm it was right as it does feel a rather 'non-domestic' process.  They acknowledge that,.. just plough through it and tidy up any facts by phone later once you've been given a human contact.

8 hours ago, mvincentd said:

Did you make any service penetrations underground to your basement plant room?  I'm weighing this against trying to keep the house exterior 'tidy'.

Yes, aside from the fouls (110mm going through a 150mm sleeve that was cast into the wall) we ran two 80mm ducts (similarly cast into the wall) into the plant room for electricity and water - both coming in about 6-700mm below wall top. Once the cable / pipe were pulled through, I sealed the gaps between sleeve and services with Newton Stopaq 308. 

For BT we drilled a 25mm hole through the wall, pulled through the BT cable (and a cat6 cable to kiosk for future gate control) and sealed that hole with Newton Stopaq. These only come in about 150mm below wall top, probably should have cast in a duct but doubt I'll ever have any issues.

Gas comes onto site in a yellow perforated duct to a ground box and then into the house above ground level in copper, drops down into plant room once inside.

Edited by Bitpipe

12 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

I sealed the gaps between sleeve and services with Newton Stopaq 308. 

Thanks Bitpipe.  According to my RC guys they'd avoid vertical wall penetrations if a viable alternative existed but are happy with Stopaq type solutions so long as cables are centred in the sleeves and singular rather than massed in a bundle, so the stopaq can get fully around.

11 hours ago, PeterW said:

Which route did you go for registering the site ..?? The one that's linked above or a different route ..?? 

Just to let you know that Openreach called me to confirm a few things and then sent me an email with the surveyors details. So the link they gave me does get the job done too ;)

2 hours ago, mvincentd said:

Thanks Bitpipe.  According to my RC guys they'd avoid vertical wall penetrations if a viable alternative existed but are happy with Stopaq type solutions so long as cables are centred in the sleeves and singular rather than massed in a bundle, so the stopaq can get fully around.

What my guys did was put a section of duct (150mm for fouls, 80mm for services) horizontally in the steel, butted up tight to the formwork either end with two rings of Sikaflex waterbar. Separate duct for each service as your guys say.  When the concrete is poured, these get set in watertight.

Confused as why they would ever be vertical? 

The services themselves are put through these penetrations later and the gap is filled per the Stopaq spec (super sticky stuff :) ).

You can also use puddle flanges and put an actual section of services through, this only really works for fouls.