Unauthorised deviation from extension plans

Having an extension built, and one of the sides (10m long) should have been a continuation of the building line of the house.
The builders have completed the walls to about knee height, and at the end of this wall, it is 11cm out from where the corner should be (to be a true continuation of the side of the house). The wall opposite has also been built in the same way (apparent by sight as it is next to a straight boundary wall). 

The plans approved by Planning Authority which were given to the builders show the walls as straight continuous lines with the existing house.

The plans showed the corner lay where an old inspection cover is located. They also showed where this inspection cover and chamber was to be relocated (2 metres away from this corner). The builders spoke about moving it or a lintel over the edge of it.  But when the wall started to be built we were told that the corner of the wall ‘just misses it’.

Now we have discovered it should have been over the edge of the inspection cover.  Obviously the builders have moved the loctation of this corner to save a lot of trouble and money. 

- should the builder have consulted us ?

- where do we stand with building control/planning ?

- should we seek recompense as it appears the builders have gained considerably at our loss?

or is it a fuss about nothing …..?

The inspection chamber is for our drainage only - ie not subject to a ‘build-over’ process with local council

Jeez. I would be very pi$$ed off. What sort of builders line it up with a boundary wall ! So your existing house is x meters deep, and the extension is a further 10 meters deep. When you stand and look down the side of your extension, and continue your eye down the side of your existing property it is either going to go in by 100mm in the middle , or stick out ? Either way it is going to look s4!te. I would make them put it right, and be keeping a very close eye on them from now on.

One of the reasons i would get it re-done is that the brickies at my daughters did exactly the same thing. entension off the rear wall. They followed the garden fence between her and her neighbour. I was putting on a flat roof so not a problem there. However that corner of her new kitchen inside, which wraps around looks crap. 100mm out is a lot in my opinion.

If you were out there complaining about 10mm i would call you an arse. but 100mm.... get them to take it down and do it again. If they can't even set it out taking reference from the existing house they should be shot. If i come around for a cup of tea when you are all finished, the first thing i am going to say is, Why is your extension built at a wonky angle ? I sure i wouldn't be the only One to pick it up.

Dont worry about that. Not your problem. Nothing in life is perfect, but that is way too far out. Make them sort it out. I doubt the builder would put up with that at his own house. You don't have to get nasty. Just simply say that you can't put up with that much of mistake, and ask him if he would be happy to put up with that at his house. They have done it to save having any work to do around the manhole cover. Lazy gits. Builders like that, give all builders a bad reputation.

• Thanks 1

They haven't followed the drawing end of conversation. What happens if/when planning enforcement come a knockin ? When it comes time to sell and you are asked to legally state you have complied with the planning permission etc ? 

Depends if the footings they poured are wide enough to rebuild on. Much drama if they are not. 

If they cant follow a plan I'd wager they will probably walk away at that point.

Take a tape measure and go measure the 2 diagonals to make sure what they have done is square.

Is it a fixed price job and they have done this to save the cost of the drainage changes? These were clearly in the work quoted for and if so they are just at it.

It would look really odd to save a couple of grand moving the inspection chamber.

23 hours ago, Jimbo123 said:

But when the wall started to be built we were told that the corner of the wall ‘just misses it’.

Handy that. 

With an attitude like that I suspect they will walk as soon as you make an issue of it. 

Most lightly sequence of events.

1. You raise the point. 

2. They deny. 

3. You show them and they sulk and say "it's fine" happens all the time, everyone else it wrong, engineer, architect, planner etc etc etc.  Nobody will notice and you should carry on.

4. You ask they put it right. 

5. They eventually say they will after much hassling. 

6. Nobody want's to undo work so it'll get shoved to the bottom of the list. 

7. They get busy with other jobs and get harder to reach. 

8. The stop answering the phone and you're left with a half built wonky extension, half their gear left in your garden. 

Dare I say it, did you pick the cheapest quote? 

• 2 months later...