Please help me find a Structural Engineer in Cardiff

Adsibob

My dad is removing a chimney breast which is load bearing from an end of terrace Victorian property in Cardiff. He needs a structural engineer. How would you go about finding a someone reliable, but not too expensive? All the ones that are coming up on his google searches are big companies who don't really do small residential jobs.

It involves a site visit and a formal proposal to the building inspector. 

This could be by an SE or any other professional who can demonstrate sufficient knowledge. 

A builder may suffice.

Whether building notice suffices is probably irrelevant, as it is a 2 day job to fit the bracket and the bco will want to see proposals before allowing it to proceed.

I did the proposal myself (got the letters) , and fitted the gallows bracket, then got a bricky (of sorts) in to make good. But our chimney breast was already illegally removed so the works was less.

The bco only looked at it as finished, and didn't get more than his head though the loft hatch.

Some people say don't use gallows bracket, but it seems ok to me for most circumstances. Your bco has probably seen this work a dozen times. Do they speak to you in your area?

Personally, I don't approve of chimneys being removed as they provide a lot of strength and help the building to breathe. But that is up to you.

16 hours ago, saveasteading said:

It involves a site visit and a formal proposal to the building inspector. 

This could be by an SE or any other professional who can demonstrate sufficient knowledge. 

A builder may suffice.

Whether building notice suffices is probably irrelevant, as it is a 2 day job to fit the bracket and the bco will want to see proposals before allowing it to proceed.

I did the proposal myself (got the letters) , and fitted the gallows bracket, then got a bricky (of sorts) in to make good. But our chimney breast was already illegally removed so the works was less.

The bco only looked at it as finished, and didn't get more than his head though the loft hatch.

Some people say don't use gallows bracket, but it seems ok to me for most circumstances. Your bco has probably seen this work a dozen times. Do they speak to you in your area?

Personally, I don't approve of chimneys being removed as they provide a lot of strength and help the building to breathe. But that is up to you.

This doesn’t really address my initial question. Grateful if we could stay on topic.

5 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Sorry. I have re-read and it seemed to me to be entirely on topic.  I wll duck out of this discussion.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to be prickly. The point I was making is that we are too far down the road with existing builder, we just want a second opinion on something from an SE. Anyway, found one more through a website called bark.com 

2 hours ago, Adsibob said:

, I didn’t mean to be prickly

OK. Understood. So often in the bh questions the whole scenario isn't clear, and perhaps we imagine what the real problem is.

Keep us posted on the proposals please, and I will turn "follow" on again.

So the latest is that the builder appears to have been right, in that he wanted to proceed without any SE involvement. SE has now been given a description of situation and subject to survey he thinks builder is probably right. My dad wants a certificate from the SE to confirm this so survey going ahead this weekend. He wants this for his own orange of mind, but also because he plans to sell in the future. Turns out the chimney stack and breast above has been removed by previous owners, so removing the remaining breast at ground level is fine and won’t have any structural impact (subject to survey).

Try yellow pages [yell.com]

Look for "home type addresses", this will usually let you know that they are a one man/woman/other band.

With SE's you can then check they are real by using their registered body.

Quick search [not by any means recommended by me]:-

Just Beams, Newport | Structural Engineers - Yell

ring up and get a name and check here

Members Directory - The Institution of Structural Engineers (istructe.org)

6 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

My dad wants a certificate from the SE to confirm

Good idea, I am having trouble selling a house because the buyers surveyor has made several assumptions (that are wrong) and scaring the buyer 😱.