Led panel ceiling lights

I fixed a more minor cock up like this  by cutting out a thin bit of white plasticard (see ebay or any decent craft shop).  I did this with two hole saws, first cutting the outer diameter, then cutting the centre hole.  It needed a bit of careful cleaning up around the edge, by scraping it with a sharp Stanley knife, but came out OK.  I glued the ring in place, then squirted some foam behind, and when that had gone off, cleaned out the inner hole.  This was for a PIR switch, rather than a light (I'd assumed the switch needed the same size hole as the downlights...............), but it should be OK for these LED panels, as they barely get warm in use.

18 minutes ago, Crofter said:

What's the problem... he's probably go shares in Polyfilla....

By the way my iLumos lights arrived today. Does it matter which way I wire up the 240v side?

Try to do a better job than this then.

Would it have hurt to chop a little bit of cable off? Should you use 3 terminals of chock block so you can terminate the earth instead of only using 2 and fold the earth back in its sleeve? And should you wrap the block in tape as good practice?

IMG_20170804_080019248~2.jpg

Edited by daiking

Shouldn't be an open choc block there at all.  Far better to use a Wago box (like this: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WAGOBOXL.html ) and the Wago connectors (like these:  https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WA101.html) that are designed to join T&E to flex.  If they had to be cheapskate and use choc block, then it should be in one of these: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DEBOX2.html but they are still a PITA compared to using Wagos.

Edited by JSHarris

Certainly when ours were fitted, 3 terminals of block so the earth was terminated safely, and block encased in a choc box.

I'm lost for words at what you've been left with.

Edited by Stones
Cross posted with JSH

1 hour ago, daiking said:

Would it have hurt to chop a little bit of cable off? Should you use 3 terminals of chock block so you can terminate the earth instead of only using 2 and fold the earth back in its sleeve? And should you wrap the block in tape as good practice?

OMFG what bodging b'stard did that? 

Hager btw do some nice slimline maintenance free junction boxes. Don't get me wrong I LOVE WAGO anything.

This is one of the reasons I love Fermacell as you can cut another bit and bond it in, fill the gaps and no-one can see the join .... Like when I put a down light in the wrong place ..!

On the other hand, nice that your sparky is letting his 5 year old help and cut the holes ..

3 hours ago, daiking said:

Does that even meet the regs? I didn't think it was permissible to have an unprotected joint like that? 

28 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Does that even meet the regs? I didn't think it was permissible to have an unprotected joint like that? 

No, it doesn't.  Unfortunately there are some real monkeys around, despite the schemes that are intended to try and ensure competence.