Time to get plastered 🍺

I'm preparing for the Plasterer who is coming next week which is exciting. He's going to be plasterboarding the reveals and doing all the beads and scrim tape. Is it best to use moisture resistant plasterboard in window reveals?

Is there anything I should do with blockwork cracks? Mesh? I've got them under the longer windows.

I'm now frantically creating piles of sawdust as I prepare the window boards and door linings.

• Like 1

Yes to moisture resistant board for the reveals. Remember to undercoat/paint the underside and edges of your window boards to stop them absorbing the inevitable deluge or moisture after plastering.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Conor said:

Yes to moisture resistant board for the reveals. Remember to undercoat/paint the underside and edges of your window boards to stop them absorbing the inevitable deluge or moisture after plastering.

Conor, you should be writing a useful tips book for newbies like me. That's another one I have saved to the appropriate file.

1 hour ago, MortarThePoint said:

I'm preparing for the Plasterer who is coming next week which is exciting. He's going to be plasterboarding the reveals and doing all the beads and scrim tape. Is it best to use moisture resistant plasterboard in window reveals?

Is there anything I should do with blockwork cracks? Mesh? I've got them under the longer windows.

I'm now frantically creating piles of sawdust as I prepare the window boards and door linings.

I’m assuming here that you’ve got plasterboard reveals but full bonding / topcoat everywhere else direct to block ..? What sort of cracks are we talking as unless the mortar was strong and the blocks were thermolites or similar then you shouldn’t have cracks anywhere. 

You could mesh the base coat but it seems overkill - @nod any thoughts ..?

No need to use moister boards on reveals Except for bathrooms 

Im guessing the wall arnt dabbed and are wet plaster backing If that’s the case He should set the reveals then bead after the backing plaster goes on the walls No need for Scrim Just use the wider skim beads 40 mil

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PeterW said:

I’m assuming here that you’ve got plasterboard reveals but full bonding / topcoat everywhere else direct to block ..? What sort of cracks are we talking as unless the mortar was strong and the blocks were thermolites or similar then you shouldn’t have cracks anywhere. 

You could mesh the base coat but it seems overkill - @nod any thoughts ..?

Mostly hairline in mortar lines

12 hours ago, nod said:

No need to use moister boards on reveals Except for bathrooms 

Im guessing the wall arnt dabbed and are wet plaster backing If that’s the case He should set the reveals then bead after the backing plaster goes on the walls No need for Scrim Just use the wider skim beads 40 mil

Walls are blockwork and are to be wet plastered. Plasterer specifically asked for Catnic beads, though said the BG ones are good too. I'm sure it's a matter of whatever you are used to, but I wanted to get as asked. I've ordered these, but they have a 23mm bit. Do you know who does a 40mm one?

image.png.207bdc868a2940ae35dd8e00a164d4d0.png

I'm guessing he wants the scrim tape for the plasterboard ceilings and partitions

3 hours ago, MortarThePoint said:

I've ordered these, but they have a 23mm bit. Do you know who does a 40mm one?

They are thin coat beads -

you want wet plaster or render beads 

Search for Plaster Standard Angle Bead