Is your metal roof noisy?

Just wondering which kind of roof to put on the house and price is a factor.

Anyway, was in Lidl in a heavy downpour and the noise would deafen you. Is it the same in domestic properties?

This is what's on the plans. 

To underside of sloped and flat ceilings provide 15mm plasterboard with skim finish fixed to 35 x 50mm s/w battens to provide 50mm deep service cavity over Pro Clima Intello Plus airtight vapour control memebrane with all joints lapped min 150mm & sealed with Pro Clima Tescon Vana airtight adhesive tape on 50mm thick Xtratherm / Kingspan PIR rigid insulation board (t/c 0.022W/mk) fixed in accordance with the manufacturers instructions to underside of the rafters. Airtight barrier to be turned down wall and sealed per manufacturers recommendations. Completely fill between rafters with Isover Metac Roll 031 (t/c 0.031W/mk).

Not in mine. Can hardly hear it now even when very heavy. Once we've got the final 50mm in the service void nobody will really notice. Ours is a good few hundred mm of Sheepswool insulation which is also a good acoustic insulator.

it was hammering down rain and hail yesterday I could just hear it on the velux. Our insulation sounds similar to you. Only sound I hear is from the standing seam that's cladding the first floor, it give of little pops when it heats up in the sun.

I've got Aluminium standing seam (Falzonal) on an OSB deck, with a 50mm vent gap over a 350mm, blown cellulose fibre filled, I-Joist timber structure, and don't specifically notice the sound of rain, however heavy, on the roof. Heavy rain on 3G roof lights is the more dominant sound.

I have standing seam zinc with bedrooms in the roof and was worried about the noise. We haven't moved in yet but last week there was heavy hail so i went into the bedroom to be and was v.pleased that it was no noisier than the tiled house I'm in at the moment

Warehouse and retail  roofs are noisier because they are very shallow slopes, and so every raindrop clatters hard into it. Also the insulation may be minimal, for an unheated or reduced heat building. Plus the cladding is screwed to the structure and may form thousands of direct links to the inside.

Not sure about Lidl except that it won't be top spec.

On your house you will have a steeper slope for the cladding,  then an air gap, then  a board then the structure with insulation. So no problem, but rain on skylights will be noisy.

8 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

underside of sloped and flat ceilings provide 15mm plasterboard with skim finish fixed to 35 x 50mm s/w battens to provide 50mm deep service cavity over Pro Clima Intello Plus airtight vapour control memebrane with all joints lapped min 150mm & sealed with Pro Clima Tescon Vana airtight adhesive tape on 50mm thick Xtratherm / Kingspan PIR rigid insulation board (t/c 0.022W/mk) fixed in accordance with the manufacturers instructions to underside of the rafters. Airtight barrier to be turned down wall and sealed per manufacturers recommendations. Completely fill between rafters with Isover Metac Roll 031 (t/c 0.031W/mk).

Something denser than PIR and metac would be better for noise. 

Cellulose or Rockwool maybe.