Demolition of concrete framed barn.

Furnace

Any suggestions about ways to deal with this after all the sheeting has been removed?

image.png.869a893dcbf313bfad4a77c9036b6d1b.png

image.thumb.png.81746d2de0b0ab871b1041c89302133c.png

I'm considering:

1. dismantling of roof trusses and purlins, posts to be cut off at ground level for potential giveway if collected.
  2. dismantling intact and arranging for them to be taken away.
  3. crushing on site for possible build use or sale as clean hardcore.

Any thoughts?

image.png

59 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

It is quite possibly asbestos cement.

Do you mean the concrete structure might be made of asbestos cement and aggregate? The roof and wall sheets are a combination of chrysatile asbestos, and newer fibre cement.

3 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

Get an experienced operator with one of these and start smashing

So smash it up and pay for the debris to be taken away in a grab lorry rather than dismantle and remove on a flatbed??

Ok something i know about.

The asbestos cement has to be removed and disposed of with a certificate. You can diy this but i suggest you don't, as a demo company will be very efficient. Shouldnt say demo, as it is dismantling.

Then the frames. There is a market for concrete frames. They are cut off at ground level so gradually get smaller, farm by farm.

Allow for them getting taken apart for zero.

But if you will need hardcore then the best plan is to crush on site as in the video above. The machine looks like a dinosaur. Just insist that it is crushed again to ensure usefully small pieces.

The demo people will take the tangled steel away. It is such a spaghetti mess that there is more air than steel.

In summary, a demo company to do the whole job. One price to take away and another to keep the hardcore.

The foundations are still there. Either the groundworker takes them out or you try to integrate them.

14 hours ago, Iceverge said:

Salvaging anything will be more hassle than it's worth. 

In kent this has no value unless you keep it on site.

It would be taken away to a quarry or random yard, and you get nothing for it but do pay the haulage.

It is then crushed and sold, at commercial rates, perhaps back to you.

Some operators have strict control and even grade it as type 1. Etc.

But some is delivered with junk mixed in. Wood, plastic, soil. I have had toilet seat, snooker ball, multiple springs (?). Once rejected 2 loads and had no argument, but still had the junk on site.

Also once did a spot visit and found 2 piles being fed into the crusher...one of rubble and one of earth.

Hence...crush on site.

To be fair, one well known supplier allowed me to visit,  and has a clean pile of rubble, they send away any loads they don't like, and they grade it by size after crushing. They pay nothing for hardcore received.

And that crusher tool on the end of the digger is fun.

The barn was apparently second hand when it was erected here (before my time) and therefore already has shorter legs and may be useless to anyone. I will be erecting a smaller agricultural building elsewhere on the farm, but not sure even I can be arsed to mess about with reusing it. A steel frame or pole barn may be less aggro.

It sounds like the recommended route is to get quotes from an 'all-in' demolition/dismantling company that can firstly deal with the asbestos, then depending on whether hardcore is needed either :

• demolish the frame and remove from site, or
  • demolish, crush and remove rebar from site leaving a big pile of clean hardcore.

Any recommendations of demolition companies in Kent?

2 hours ago, saveasteading said:

And that crusher tool on the end of the digger is fun.

Sadly, my 3 tonne digger won't be up to the job 😞

8 minutes ago, Furnace said:

, my 3 tonne digger won't be up to the job.

I'm not sure it would even lift the bucket. It will be a very big machine. Handy all round as it can reach high and far to lift or break out the rafters...then squash them.

I don't have names for you. Knock up an email to describe the project, including timing. Make it clear you are an individual not a business. With an informal email you can circulate to loads of demo companies without wasting their time, some of which will show interest. Not just local, include medway where the heavy work happens, and Sussex because it is not Sevenoaks.

If I remember properly you have to make or extend a driveway. This hardcore will suit being on the bottom. 

Are you building new on the footprint?

11 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Are you building new on the footprint?

Overlapping the existing footprint

image.thumb.png.1e6d832eeaf4c3bc119b06877a39aaff.png

image.thumb.png.414ba04eb6728cd1a162e56965719f3f.png

Depending on levels I'm thinking there will be need for hardcore, and clean hardcore from the crushing would be better than bought-in stuff.

It won't be necessarily better  (than expensive sub-base) but it will be clean, and you must get it down to a size..

You will certainly need some bed under the new area of slab.

Are you retained the existing slab  assuming there is one, or breaking out and replacing,?

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

Are you retained the existing slab  assuming there is one, or breaking out and replacing,?

It depends on final levels, but the existing slab is only present in the blue bordered area
image.png.f9c4d7b3f08d5b43df613f49294502bd.png

so will only be beneath the garage, not the main gaff.

Realistically, I think most of it will be broken up.

Edited by Furnace
muppetry

43 minutes ago, Furnace said:

, I think most of it will be broken up

If it is too high to build above then it has to go, and join the crushed pile, then can go back down again in the new construction.

If it can be built on, and high is good in houses esp with any flood risk, then it can probably stay instead of, or as well as, sub base.

Too often they are broken out pointlessly.

conc.jpg.02fa154d3e0d3943cfdd825504d98247.jpg

The carport/garage will be well above the existing slab, so that can stay but most of the rest is where garden is proposed so will be broken and reused elsewhere.

4 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Knock up an email to describe the project, including timing. Make it clear you are an individual not a business. With an informal email you can circulate to loads of demo companies without wasting their time, some of which will show interest

I've got two companies visiting on Wednesday to give quotes. 👍

I really don't know how much it'll be. I think it's quite possible that a pukka no hassle job could well be £40k, but a DIY job with my neighbouring farmer, and a telehandler could be less than half that. I got an Asbestos 'removal disposal only' quote for about £16/m2. There's about 400m2 of sheeting...

On 22/03/2023 at 17:18, Furnace said:

Any suggestions about ways to deal with this after all the sheeting has been removed?

image.png.869a893dcbf313bfad4a77c9036b6d1b.png

image.thumb.png.81746d2de0b0ab871b1041c89302133c.png

I'm considering:

1. dismantling of roof trusses and purlins, posts to be cut off at ground level for potential giveway if collected.
  2. dismantling intact and arranging for them to be taken away.
  3. crushing on site for possible build use or sale as clean hardcore.

Any thoughts?

image.png

I cant help you on the demolition. but id give my right arm and sundry other body parts for that place.

Cant believe you would knock it down :(

37 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

id give my right arm and sundry other body parts for that place

I've got permission to convert it, but a new build is a better option IMHO.

You can have it. I'd pay you to take it away.😉

40 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

Cant believe you would knock it down

I would knock it down, and I try to reuse where at all feasible.

Converting agricultural to domestic is tricky. The structure is underdesigned for himsan use (no safety factors) including the foundations.

Also it is a pain to connect to concrete frames even if in decent condition, and repairing is expensive.

If steel, extra columns can be added  but concrete no.

Planning issues aside of course.

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

That's my preferred option too, but it'll depend on whether the new build application is successful. The Class Q is a good design although will be more aggro to build and not as efficient as a home.

35 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Trust me, there'll be a queue to take any steel and probably roofing sheets off your hands! 😉

The only steel will be the rebar from the concrete frame. 90% of the sheeting is asbestos cement and needs to be disposed of safely.

2 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Converting agricultural to domestic is tricky. The structure is underdesigned for himsan use (no safety factors) including the foundations.

Also it is a pain to connect to concrete frames even if in decent condition, and repairing is expensive.

If steel, extra columns can be added  but concrete no.

Planning issues aside of course.

Would be wasted converting to a house. Think of all the cars and other stuff you could get in there. A couple of portacabins inside in the corner will do my living quaters.

Oh, hang on, not sure my wife would agree.

First set of quotes are in and (rarely for this locale) don't appear to be outrageous.
To remove and dispose of 400m2 of asbestos sheeting, including scissor lift hire: £5,375 + VAT (Online quote from photos and dimensions I provided).
To demolish and crush (leaving crushed concrete on site) concrete posts , rafters, lintels and some concrete blocks. Rebar removed from site: £7,950+ VAT

I've got another firm visiting to quote tomorrow.