Demolition of concrete framed barn.

Furnace

2 hours ago, Furnace said:

First set of quotes are in and (rarely for this locale) don't appear to be outrageous.
To remove and dispose of 400m2 of asbestos sheeting, including scissor lift hire: £5,375 + VAT (Online quote from photos and dimensions I provided).
To demolish and crush (leaving crushed concrete on site) concrete posts , rafters, lintels and some concrete blocks. Rebar removed from site: £7,950+ VAT

I've got another firm visiting to quote tomorrow.

Beware the caravan brigade!

• Thanks 1

That sounds  extremely competitive for 400m2.

I would expect the skip and disposal cost to be that alone.

Looks to me like you have a lot more than 400m2m though,  esp including the walls....but still, an encouraging start.

Is the VAT reclaimable?

12 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Looks to me like you have a lot more than 400m2m though,  esp including the walls

It's only the 2 barns nearest the camera, but I'll add 20% on to the area to allow for sheet overlap.

Dunno about the VAT. Are demolition and ground works zero VAT for new-build?
It's possible I could reclaim it through the farm accounts, as I'll be putting a new building up elsewhere, but I always err on the side of caution with this sort of thing.
Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting close to choosing the companies to do these jobs and want to ensure I end up with useful material. I aim to keep the crushed concrete on site for use as sub base for drives and paths. What size do I want it to be after crushing? 50mm diameter?
Cheers

Im having my 200 tonnes of bricks crushed to 50 mm down but will be buying in 75 mm recycled material to place below it at £12 Tonne. This gives a better base for drives and paths but it can be a bit of an ankle breaker hence topping it up with crushed bricks.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Canski said:

Im having my 200 tonnes of bricks crushed to 50 mm down but will be buying in 75 mm recycled material to place below it at £12 Tonne. This gives a better base for drives and paths but it can be a bit of an ankle breaker hence topping it up with crushed bricks.

Gotcha. Sounds like I should get it crushed to 50mm to make it the most useful.

6 hours ago, Furnace said:

What size do I want it to be after crushing? 50mm diameter

The trouble with 50mm down , is that any stone going through a 50mm grating complies. So you might get 50 x 50 x150 for example. 

The process of grading would take equipment and time so will cost a lot.

Perhaps just talk it through what you want and keep an eye on it. And shrug at some big lumps.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Tarts! 

Club hammer and a bit of 40x40 mesh.

I saw this in India.

A lorry load of boulders. 

2 men loading a boulder (50kg) onto a woman's head.

Carried to a group of workers sat on the ground with hammers.

An expanding pile of single size stone, about 20mm.

A guide explained that this was a family, who would be on a fixed price to do the lot.

May not be so economical round Furnace's way. London rates.

Edited by saveasteading

31 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I saw this in India.

A lorry load of boulders. 

2 men loading a boulder (50kg) onto a woman's head.

Carried to a group of workers sat on the ground with hammers.

An expanding pile of single size stone, about 20mm.

A guide explained that this was a family, who would be on a fixed price to do the lot.

May not be so economical round Furnace's way. London rates.

Yep, lad I knew said it was the same in Libya when he was building bakeries and they were short of the correct aggregate. Spoke to the local go between / fixer and was awoken to a gang of locals sat in a circle with hammers and a big pile of stone. 

32 minutes ago, Furnace said:
10 hours ago, Onoff said:

gang of locals sat in a circle with hammers and a big pile of stone. 

Have you got their number?

I will have a photo somewhere then you can tour the Delhi triangle and look for them. Good luck coming back with them at Dover.

Or talk to the demo boss about the grille size on the crushing bucket, and find a way to define, and balance,  what you want and he can deliver.

Eg you do not accept any concrete that still has steel hanging out of it. They must take all the steel.

I've seen great results and average, depending on the material and the kit. Worth doing both times.

7 hours ago, saveasteading said:

I've seen great results and average, depending on the material and the kit. Worth doing both times.

The chap I have in mind for the work was quite interested in the job since it's away from roads and buildings so is quite 'easy' for him. I made it clear that I was after clean, useable product and he appeared to understand. I'll discuss prior to engagement and will be onsite when they're doing the work.

12 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Eg you do not accept any concrete that still has steel hanging out of it. They must take all the steel.

I’ve seen horrific scenes on site with multiple workers cars / vans tyres punctured with steel in hardcore. Not a way to get a good build when the the workers are pissed off before they get there the next day. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Canski said:

I’ve seen horrific scenes on site with multiple workers cars / vans tyres punctured with steel in hardcore. Not a way to get a good build when the the workers are pissed off before they get there the next day. 

Excellent point. I know how pissed off I am when I get a puncture. One of the chaps who quoted for the demo job said they run a mega-magnet over the crushed material from the posts to remove the hundreds of mini ties that held the rebar in place. Fortunately the site has access on a tarmac/concrete drive so vans/cars are OK, but dumpers/tractors/telehandlers are still vulnerable.