Wind from ASHP on the neighbor's door - barrier?

The heat-pump from Mitsubishi has been installed - and guess what: the contractor tells me that noise is a non-issue. Hurray for Mitsubishi Ecodan Silence!

... but the wind from the machine (which would be very cold in the worst of winter) will blow right in the face of some of the neighbors as they go out of their front door. (Yes, this was the least bad place to put it.) I don't think Paris regulators remembered to forbid this (they just set strict noise limits), but obviously I don't want to be an arse.

How to solve this?

It would seem simpler, cheaper, more aesthetic and probably also more effective to set up some sort of solid fence or barrier (possibly homemade) rather than a sound-reducing capsule (which is meant for a different problem, is expensive, might decrease efficiency by a not completely trivial amount, and may not change the direction of the "wind" at all).

Is this right? 

If so, at what distance should it be so as not to interfere with the operation?

May be an image of outdoors

PS. Answers to my previous question are also appreciated:

Well, I'd rather do it now that the workers and the architect are still around!

Also, one side would be enough, wouldn't it be? What's the minimal distance so as not to interfere with anything? Does the material matter?

I assume the open door in the picture is yours?

Rotate the ASHP 90 degrees so it blows along the passage not across it.  It would blow the cold air past your front door not your neighbours.

Putting screens in front of them is very bad, on another thread recently someone posted a you tube clip of an experiment to box one in, and it ended up recirculating it's own air and choking itself.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Garald said:

Well, I'd rather do it now that the workers and the architect are still around!

Also, one side would be enough, wouldn't it be? What's the minimal distance so as not to interfere with anything? Does the material matter?

If I were you, I would go back to sleep and dream for a top fan heat pump, check RED heat pumps.

RED Heat Pump User Discussion - Boilers & Hot Water Tanks - BuildHub.org.uk

Edited by DanDee

27 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Putting screens in front of them is very bad, on another thread recently someone posted a you tube clip of an experiment to box one in, and it ended up recirculating it's own air and choking itself.

Is there a distance starting at which the effect is slight? 1m?

Not to repeat myself, but I am talking about putting a screen *in front* of it, not *around* it.

Edited by Garald

5 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

The energy is wind is proportional to the cube of the windspeed (I think, how wind turbine yield is calculated)

... so? The point being that we have to be very careful not to diminish the windspeed? I agree of course, but what would be a good distance?

1 minute ago, Garald said:

.. so? The point being that we have to be very careful not to diminish the windspeed? I agree of course, but what would be a good distance?

The point is that you will not feel it once 1.5 m away.

You could go out and find one that is running and see what it is like.

At the college I was at, they had some huge units to heat and cool the library.  We all used to stand by them and smoke.  I can't remember every feeling a breeze from one of them, unless I put my hand by the grill.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Garald said:

But the result shown in the video is that a fence doesn't bring efficiency down perceptibly, even though one can see smoke recirculating!

I suspect what it will do, is at temperatures close to the dew point, is increase icing up as the recirculated air will be colder, and increase defrosting frequency, and hence reduce efficiency that way.

I still favour rotating the unit 90 degrees so the cold air gets blown past your door not across to your neigbour.

17 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I still favour rotating the unit 90 degrees so the cold air gets blown past your door not across to your neigbour.

Right, this seems so evident that I wonder why it wasn't done. I was trying to get to my head contractor today, without success. Of course he'll hate me when I suggest this, since apparently he stayed up until 9:30pm working on this with the heat-pump installer (that's a late hour for non-academics, or so I am told).

Just talked to the contractor directly. (I was getting his comments filtered through the architect, who has some sort of instinctive anti-heat-pump biased, besides almost messing things up majorly, as you may recall from a previous thread.) He says:

- the heat-pump is very quiet (he sounded very pleasantly surprised)

- the radiators are working correctly and heating up the place (well, spring has started and temperatures are staying above 0 C, so this is not exactly a test by fire (or ice))

- as for the wind, let's wait until some neighbor complains, and if that happens, we'll figure out something.

If I had an easily accessible flat roof, then of course we would have put it up the roof.

Just talked to the contractor directly. (I was getting his comments filtered through the architect, who has some sort of instinctive anti-heat-pump biased, besides almost messing things up majorly, as you may recall from a previous thread.) He says:

- the heat-pump is very quiet (he sounded very pleasantly surprised)

- the radiators are working correctly and heating up the place (well, spring has started and temperatures are staying above 0 C, so this is not exactly a test by fire (or ice))

- as for the wind, let's wait until some neighbor complains, and if that happens, we'll figure out something.

Mounting it up the wall would surely decrease air intake, unless it's set up orthogonally or at the end of some sort of long protruding arm! If I had an easily accessible flat roof, then of course we would have put it up the roof.

Not sure why it wasn't installed at a 90 degree angle. The only reason I can think of is "not creating a wind tunnel with dustbins in the input or output". I got permission to move said dustbins, but I can't think of a permutation that wouldn't have them getting in the way.

Edited by Garald