Temperature/humidity sensors for concrete slab for when ASHP run in cooling mode - what do I need?

On 17/03/2023 at 17:37, Dan F said:

Assuming you can use 1-wire sensors, get a pack of DS18B20 sensors. 

Hi @Dan F I am thinking I may aim to instal 2 or 3 of these sensors. I see the chat about there being a lot of counterfeits around. Do you have a link to where I can buy the real deal - ideally with a long enough wire to stretch to above slab level?

What is the logic behind putting them in plastic pipe - to be able to replace easily if they ever break? WHat is the minimum kit I would need to connect them to a display on the wall to show the temps? thanks

8 minutes ago, markharro said:

Hi @Dan F I am thinking I may aim to instal 2 or 3 of these sensors. I see the chat about there being a lot of counterfeits around. Do you have a link to where I can buy the real deal - ideally with a long enough wire to stretch to above slab level?

What is the logic behind putting them in plastic pipe - to be able to replace easily if they ever break? WHat is the minimum kit I would need to connect them to a display on the wall to show the temps? thanks

I bought some overpriced Loxone ones with 2.5m lead.  There are packs on amazon with 5-star reviews and 3m leads.  In terms of buying the real deal, I guess the best you could do is buy from somewhere like RS instead of Amazon.

Putting them in UFH pipe is easy and then you can just push sensors into the pipes once the concrete is down and you don't risk the sensor lead ending up in the concrete or the sensor getting squashed or stepped on.  I can't easily change my sensors as they all come up, and are connected, inside stud work and behind plasterboard, but I guess if I needed to I could get to them vs. them being concreted in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, markharro said:

Thanks - so actually all I need to do atm is to bury some sections of tube - any recommendations on how deep into the slab to fit the tube - right down to the bottom for example? Ours will be a 150mm slab?

I used UFH pipe off-cuts and formed them into L shapes with a fairly shallow bed.  One else I squashed to close and the other end I left open and then I taped both ends. I then attached the horizontal section to mesh with cable ties and the vertical portions I had sticking up clear of the final slab level.  Where possible I brought these up next to SVP pipes which was quite convenient, but otherwise, they come up in locations which I knew would be within stud walls.

image.thumb.png.6cce01ddb6c6bd10893355bcf31175eb.png

Edited by Dan F
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Johnnyire said:

Hi,

If I have MVHR installed, how can you control the bathroom extractor for example? Is a cable needed at the MVHR fan in the bathroom or is it controlled back at the unit itself? Or maybe it depends

Ours has a humidity sensor in the extract pipe so it's automatic. I also have a sensor on the shower that I use home automation to force boost mode but that's just to help get ahead of the steam cloud. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnnyire said:

Hi,

If I have MVHR installed, how can you control the bathroom extractor for example? Is a cable needed at the MVHR fan in the bathroom or is it controlled back at the unit itself? Or maybe it depends

I built a little circuit which is triggered by turning on any of the bathroom lights, it pulls in a relay which increases the MVHR fan speed for 8 mins. (SWMBO did not want 15 mins which is AFAIR the time stipulated in the Building Regs for WC extractor fans.) Only occasion I have designed an OR-gate using 240V AC logic levels.

On 20/03/2023 at 22:00, Dan F said:

I used UFH pipe off-cuts and formed them into L shapes with a fairly shallow bed.

I have done the same @Dan F now so will have the option to fit temp probes down the line. Is there any cheap and easy to set up digital display I can get to wire the probes to so I can observe the temps visually?

2 hours ago, markharro said:

I have done the same @Dan F now so will have the option to fit temp probes down the line. Is there any cheap and easy to set up digital display I can get to wire the probes to so I can observe the temps visually?

thermopro tp25, I know the probes are for meat but I don't see they cannot be modified/replaced/thinker with.