Crazy Plumber's Merchant prices

jayc89

It turns out a family friend is the manager at a local branch of a national plumber's merchant.

He managed to get me a quote for some parts I need; HEP20 pipe + fittings, various waste pipes + fittings and a Geberit Frame + Cistern, applying, what he said was the max discount he can (and given the discount levels noted on the estimate, I don't have any reason to think he's being dishonest when he says that).

Even with that level of discount applied, I can still get the vast majority of the items cheaper from various online retails, the HEP20 gear for example, 30% cheaper!

WTF is that about? How do these local branches stay afloat, ease of use? 

You will often find that your online purchases are delivered by one of the merchants that have quoted more 

Build for less usually get TP to deliver 

Probably part of the same group 

Been quoted list less 70% and still 30% more than on line retailers!! My local merchants is normally empty apart from a couple hours in the morning. Meanwhile they have to pay for premises, energy, staff and even a manager, with limited turnover. They will never compete with on line retailers and will only survive as long as customers are willing to pay trades ‘whatever it costs”.

It’s not just plumbing stuff, it’s most stuff. We have chosen Rocca Ona for the bathrooms. We asked the local kitchen and bathroom place to price it up. It’s almost exactly twice the price than the cheapest online place I found. I challenged them on their price and they said this was their best price and didn’t believe my figures until i showed them. The online price inc VAT is cheaper than their ex VAT price. Clearly folk pay it as it’s a popular line for them. 

It’s not just plumbing merchants, the electrical merchants have the same issues. I am having stuff delivered from online sources at cheaper prices than my local branches can themselves purchase.

Car parts and tyres have been like this for yonks. Big suppliers sending in from Germany and delivering quickly.