‘Balancing’ SIPs on top of a masonry wall

RobinH

I’m looking to build a half submerged (basement/ground floor) from masonry or concrete structure of some kind with external insulation and then add a further floor on top and roof of SIPS. 
Im after any general info about how well this might work but I have a specific question. As the load-bearing element of the basement will be on the inside of the wall, if i mount the sips on top, I’m likely to end up with the outside looking like a tiered wedding cake. Not a good look! How best to avoid 6” wide battens on outside of SIPs? 😂

Edited by RobinH

Everytime I see someone ask a SIP related question on this forum I just know that the first response will be 'don't use SIP'. 

Rather than say don't use something due to personal bias, why not offer up a solution to the actual question being asked and then some reasoning as to why you think it would be better achieved via another approach.

To the OP, you may want to post up a sketch/section to explain your ask - easier to understand from a drawing rather than text.

1 minute ago, LA3222 said:

Everytime I see someone ask a SIP related question on this forum I just know that the first response will be 'don't use SIP'. 

Rather than say don't use something due to personal bias, why not offer up a solution to the actual question being asked and then some reasoning as to why you think it would be better achieved via another approach.

To the OP, you may want to post up a sketch/section to explain your ask - easier to understand from a drawing rather than text.

I did offer a solution, have a read. Sips come in standard widths, if he wants a custom size it would be easier to go twin stud and make it the size he wants. 

Why do you think I would have a personal bias against a product ?

i don’t sell anything so no motive there. 

I just find people go to a home show and see a product, or are led by an architect and suddenly that’s how they think they are building, without knowing all the other options out there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks you all for your feedback. It is all very welcome. 

I was thinking SIPS as they seem to provide a very fast build, good way of creating a vaulted roof without trusses and engineered openings to allow the windows and doors to be ordered in parallel. It's not to say that there are not alternatives but on balance of the many features in comparison it seemed the way forward at this stage (LO planning).

Whatever the walk-out basement then I understand and agree that it should have two forms of water proofing. Generally the forms which are on the outside of the structure are better than those on the inside, which is fine as we will be excavating for the walls. I dont think a sump and pumps will be necessary as one end of the basement is at (slightly above) ground level so any sump can drain out to an outside soakaway.

As to my initial question... a picture attached of what I mean. I think IceVerge understood and has a good idea with the extra insulation on the outside! Ta.

Robin 

IMG_4225.jpeg

Edited by RobinH