Urgent need for a secure gate

I urgently need to put up a secure gate in our side passage. There have been some burglaries in our street this week, and today one of the victims knocked on my door and asked if she could look at my Ring doorbell footage. Sure enough, on the night in question (at 450am!) the bloody shit waltzed down my front steps and onto my side passage, completely unfazed by my security lighting coming on. He used my side passage to get into our garden, and from there jumped into the neighbour’s garden and stole some bikes from their shed.

I have a quote for a steel gate but the lead time is 8-10 weeks. I guess I could install an off the shelf wooden one in the meantime, but was wondering if anybody knows any companies who could do something in steel more quickly, within a week or less ideally.

• Sad 1

I guess it depends where you are in the country. 
im in a farming area so I’d try a few of those stores first to see what I could pick up. I also buy a lot from Amazon quick search says they can deliver a passage way sized gate Saturday to Wednesday. Would a gate solve your problem though. I’m thinking it sounds planned down yours over fence get bikes and back out yours. If you put a gate up can they get down your other neighbour and over fence to you. 
chances are they have already looked through your windows and are going round doing the easy pickings. 

2 hours ago, Susie said:

I guess it depends where you are in the country. 
im in a farming area so I’d try a few of those stores first to see what I could pick up. I also buy a lot from Amazon quick search says they can deliver a passage way sized gate Saturday to Wednesday. Would a gate solve your problem though. I’m thinking it sounds planned down yours over fence get bikes and back out yours. If you put a gate up can they get down your other neighbour and over fence to you. 
chances are they have already looked through your windows and are going round doing the easy pickings. 

He only appears to come in to our side passage, not out. He must go out via somebody else’s property. Our house looks new compared to the others, and I made a point of making sure all our ground floor windows and doors are PAS24 rated. The side door is solid. But ours is the only house without a side passage gate, hence easy for him to come in to our garden, then access all of our neighbour’s gardens. I’m tempted to stake out the passage armed with a shotgun. But I don’t own a shotgun.

• Haha 1

I wanted to check with my electrician before I start drilling holes into the external wall where the gate will be mounted, but he's not picking up his calls. I have external lights with PIR sensors installed along that wall, about 9' from the ground, spaced about 2m apart. As long as I'm not drilling in a line below these lights or a between them, am I save to assume i won't hit a wire? I could buy a sensor, but I'm not sure it will work, as the wall has 40mm or 45mm of insulation which includes foil  and that may interfere with any sensor's signal.

11 minutes ago, Radian said:

Why didn't you get any kind of alert from the camera when it recorded the intruder going past at 4:50?

I do get those alerts, but I turn my phone off at night, otherwise I'd be woken up by every fox and squirrel. There is a way to set it to just trigger for humans, but it doesn't always work. I'm not sure why that is. I guess the algorithms are only so good. We also have security lighting that comes on, triggered by animals, and that in itself might trigge the Ring. I'm not sure.

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Is this external wall insulation ..??

Sorry, you're right. It's Kooltherm K5 that we have, about 50mm worth, stuck onto very old masonry (it's a refurb of a 1930s semi) and then covered with a plastic mesh and a silicone render. But there is foil; it's just on the inside of the bricks, as part of a damp proofing fix that we implemented.

30 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

I do get those alerts, but I turn my phone off at night, otherwise I'd be woken up by every fox and squirrel. There is a way to set it to just trigger for humans, but it doesn't always work. I'm not sure why that is. I guess the algorithms are only so good. We also have security lighting that comes on, triggered by animals, and that in itself might trigge the Ring. I'm not sure.

You need a better security camera with machine learning to discriminate small vermin from human vermin. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

So if this is EWI then you need something like this through the insulation - not expensive but work really well and stop you crushing the insulation and render

https://www.swifix.co.uk/product/single-fitting/

Thanks, just been reading up on this/watching the videos and it looks good. What depth fixing would you use for 50mm of EWI on a single brick wall. I presume I need to anchor off the masonry and not just the EWI, so will 100mm fixings do?

6 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Here is our design.

2D69666D-E826-48E5-9A6D-DDE6190B5B39.thumb.jpeg.203e8b668e9dd74d663e8552daef58bb.jpeg

in terms of additional countermeasures, shall I go for electrocution or just barbed wire? 

What about those fake guard dog sound emitters?

Broken glass shards and black gooey stuff that’s hard to get off. 😂