W/C + Utility Room in one

jayc89

We have a downstairs room that's approx 2.5m x 3.5m, it's directly under the shared bathroom so has all the services accessible to be used as a wetroom/utility room. It's too large to just be used as a w/c but I was thinking it could be used as both a w/c and utility. 

Has anyone else done this? Would love to see some designs/layouts!

23 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

We have a downstairs room that's approx 2.5m x 3.5m, it's directly under the shared bathroom so has all the services accessible to be used as a wetroom/utility room. It's too large to just be used as a w/c but I was thinking it could be used as both a w/c and utility. 

If you post a plan, folk here can make suggestions ;)  Where the door and window(?) are etc will affect the design / layout.

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

If you post a plan, folk here can make suggestions ;)  Where the door and window(?) are etc will affect the design / layout.

Good thinking. I've circled the room in question, currently labelled "Store". It's approx 2.5m x 3.5m is West facing but has a pretty small window (approx 800mm x 800mm) so lightening isn't great for much, which is why I was wondering whether a downstairs W/C + Utility might be a good idea there, coupled with the services already being in that area...

Thoughts/opinions welcome!

21_04074_PLF-AMENDED_EXISTING_ELEVATIONS_AND_FLOOR_PLANS-4418263.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, patp said:

Is there no other downstairs wc? If so it is a no brainer to put one in.

We had originally planned to make what is labelled "Store" our home office and partition what is labelled "dining" into a utility and w/c and extend the hallway around into the kitchen. But given that's a south facing window, it seems crazy to put a utility room in there. 

4 hours ago, jayc89 said:

I was thinking it could be used as both a w/c and utility. 

Our current house (not the new build) has exactly this. It's 2m x 1.5m with 3 standard 600mm units (one is a washing machine) down one wall with an inset stainless sink and the toilet on the other wall at the back.

I'm not keen on it but it makes reasonably efficient use of the space.

22 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

buildhubutility-WC.thumb.png.75b725779442031c6eae4025e0fe7456.png

Have a sliding pocket door from utility to WC. Bob's your Uncle and Fanny's your Aunt.

Thank me with beer. :) 

Something like this;

Screenshot2023-02-22at15_14_15.thumb.png.9a7ed9d78075f008a2c5fcdfa1946da0.png

Certainly feels usable, which I guess is all you need for a utility room and a place to spend a penny!

Our Utility and downstairs WC is all in one room.  Some think it a strange concept, but most just accept it.  It's a long thin room so has the usual run of kitchen type units for washer and dryer and a sink, and come cupboards and then a gap at the end of the run for the WC.

It would have been possible to divide it with another room and a door, but we just did not see the point and building control had no issues whatsoever with the two being combined.