4.3m Sliding Doors - Origin OS-29... or other thoughts - plus some other questions!

rmillener

Hi All,

New here, but looks like a lot of good info....

I am renovating a house built in 1995 and installing some 4.3m wide x 2m tall sliding doors for the newly opened up kitchen.

It seems that finding the best doors is a minefield and I could lose many nights at the computer... Every company I am recommended seems to have its fair share of good and bad reviews!

I am currently looking and favoured towards the Origin Global OS-29 doors in a 3 pane, 3 track configuration, with all panes possible to slide, this seems to be a good mid-range level door. I went to have a look in a showroom and they seem solid with a good quality feel and look. Does anyone else have them installed and would agree or have feedback? 

As for colour I don't know, I like light grey, but my partner is concerned all the other house windows are white and this would upset the look, but I think white makes them look like big PVC doors?!

Also I would like to know what are people's thoughts on how they choose things like doors and windows? Are all medium level doors about the same in terms of quality and it comes down to personal preference / service of the installer in the end?! 

Would anyone have some rough prices for what has been paid now in early 2023 for this size door from any manufacturers? All other research I have done are posts from 2020-2021 which have prices that are completely irrelevant these days! I am expecting around £10k for this size Origin door, would that seem about right? Must be triple glazed now due to Building Regs change as well I believe.

Thanks
Rich

11 minutes ago, rmillener said:

am renovating a house built in 1995 and installing some 4.3m wide x 2m tall sliding doors for the newly opened up kitchen.

What steels have been installed and to what deflection ..? 4.3m is a fair gap - you could see up to 10mm deflection on that in the centre and your sliding doors may stop sliding … 

The other issue to consider is the weight. We had a 6m span made up of a 5m sliding door and a 1m turn and tilt door triple glazed. However Nordan had a maximum weight limit for a single unit of 350kg. In the end we had to reduce the sliding door to 3.6m which weighs 347kg and 1.4m French door. These were alu clad timber. Therefore I’d phone a few companies you’re looking at and ask them if they can do a 3G 4.3m slider. 

In terms of who to go with. It’s a minefield frankly. You’ll find bad news on the internet about every company so it’s hard to use that as a guide. Two popular brands on here are Internorm and Rationel. We’re going with Nordan as it’s part of the timber kit package. They’re less popular on here but they are common fit in the Highlands and Islands up here in Scotland and I’ve spoken to several people that have them and they are happy with them. 

11 hours ago, PeterW said:

What steels have been installed and to what deflection ..? 4.3m is a fair gap - you could see up to 10mm deflection on that in the centre and your sliding doors may stop sliding … 

Structual calculations show a 1.4mm deflection over the span. Will be two beams, one on each wall of the cavity wall. The beam recommended is UKB 305x127x42 in S275 material. Therefore I think that this should be OK on this particlaur concern, but also something I had considered when choosing sliding over bifold.

2 hours ago, Kelvin said:

The other issue to consider is the weight. We had a 6m span made up of a 5m sliding door and a 1m turn and tilt door triple glazed. However Nordan had a maximum weight limit for a single unit of 350kg. In the end we had to reduce the sliding door to 3.6m which weighs 347kg and 1.4m French door. These were alu clad timber. Therefore I’d phone a few companies you’re looking at and ask them if they can do a 3G 4.3m slider. 

In terms of who to go with. It’s a minefield frankly. You’ll find bad news on the internet about every company so it’s hard to use that as a guide. Two popular brands on here are Internorm and Rationel. We’re going with Nordan as it’s part of the timber kit package. They’re less popular on here but they are common fit in the Highlands and Islands up here in Scotland and I’ve spoken to several people that have them and they are happy with them. 

With a 3 pane design, the max width of each pane will be around 1.3m so I think the weight for the individual panels should be OK, but we will need to take care in terms of the supporting wall underneath to ensure it is solid, especially if the door is positioned over the edge of the outer external cavity wall to ensure there is no warping here. 

As this is a new opening there is some scope to alter the width slightly, but as everything seems to be bespoke made these days I don't think there is any advantage to this. 

Agreed on the makes, thanks for this!

Our weight issue was twofold. The max weight the frame could be built to and the max weight the installation team would fit without it becoming complicated by needing to hire a crane and separating the glazing from the frame. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2023 at 23:03, Makeitstop said:

SBS, how do your reynaers doors perform re: condensation?

Do you see anything if it's extremely cold outside?

We are not yet moved in! Although I would imagine condensation is more a function of the glass, not the frames though? Someone on here will let me know if otherwise! Will let you know when we are in 👍

Edited by SBMS

On 23/02/2023 at 23:03, Makeitstop said:

SBS, how do your reynaers doors perform re: condensation?

Do you see anything if it's extremely cold outside?

We've got the same doors (CP130LS) and no issues with condensation.

Quite a 'chunky' look compared to many though. We like this but I know others are really into to minimalist sightlines.

Been in just over five years now and would recommend them.

We looked at the Reynears CP130 but are now going for the newer better performing Reynears Master Patio, they give better u value than the CP130 and seem excellent value for the money.

We looked at some of the really slim doors but I’m not keen on the glass being structural, god forbid you broke the glass. 
So the Master Patio seems a good compromise with not too chunky sightlines

plus they are dry glazed so not to bad to fit. 

Well, I have to admit, my own, fitted in a kitchen / diner / living space of approx 40 sq metres, "does" suffer from condensation on lower part of frames. Now I appreciate that the relative humidity in this space can sometimes be above what might be ideal, but the level of condensation when it's very cold outside is quite startling. I have been pretty disappointed tbh.

I have wondered whether the construction at the openings was adequate.  It seems it may not be.

The structure is cavity wall, of brick outer, 30mm clear cavity, 75mm pir and aerated block inner skin, with dabbed plasterboard and skim. The aerated blocks were returned at openings for window / door, with 30mm pir sealing cavity.

I did question whether this was a smart choice and was assured it caused no issues using thermally broken aluminium framed products.

That might have been utter bollocks, but I was unsure what to push for as an alternative.

I appreciate that the standard of the above is not as good as it could be, and the initial plan was for wider cavity and concrete block internally, but this changed for reasons I wont go into.

I haven't been thrilled with the performance of the Reynaers product on a thermal basis though. Frames feel freezing cold when it's very cold outside.

I have four sets of the Raynaers CP130, the largest being 10m (4 x 2.5)  and have to say I've been pleased with them (been in 6 years now). I actually liked the look of the chunkier frames and (touches wood), have had no issues with condensation. Personally I think Raynaers have a good price performance ratio so will be one on my list for the next build.

• Like 1

They are certainly well made and I absolutely love the way they operate. Great product overall and I'd not seek to discourage anyone from using them.

My question was simply curiosity on how others have found them on the condensation issue, which generally looks to be positive.

Edited by Makeitstop
  • Like 1