Tesla smartness

Pocster

I often get ‘told’ the Tesla battery is overpriced and you are paying for the name . Of course you are .

But ; it has the largest capacity , has its own heating / cooling system and very reliable software .

Recently it’s been a bad boy and not charging at night fully ( sometimes as little as 30% ) .

Not really an issue for me because if I need to I can discharge my SE battery into it .

I was watching it today .

Small charge last night .

On the edge of taking from the grid at peak rate ( my blood boils !! ) 

PV then picks up to supply the house and charge battery a bit .

It truly is a smarty pants .

62029664-867B-48E4-9AD2-7646AD763911.png

DA605B14-44F1-4805-87C0-B217CB67F849.png

09F83F0B-E49F-46B4-B0E9-1CA06E394D4F.png

1 minute ago, Dave Jones said:

how have you set it up to charge ?

Mine is programmed with the cheap rates (im on 3 different rates depending on time of day) and it keeps to them perfectly.

Just my octopus off peak window 00:30 until 04:30 .

During winter always 100% charge - but last few days PV ( especially for February) has been really good . I assume therefore the algorithm decides no need to charge so much .

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Just my octopus off peak window 00:30 until 04:30 .

During winter always 100% charge - but last few days PV ( especially for February) has been really good . I assume therefore the algorithm decides no need to charge so much .

there is some intelligence to it for sure, it 'knows' what your solar profile is so keeps a bit spare.

• Like 1

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

Nope. Solarwatt offering in 2.4kWh modularly stackable cells goes to 19.2kWh per stack, then add another stack, and then add another stack, and keeps going until you run out of wall.

Also has true unlimited throughput.

Ok , ok ! .

You can stack PowerWalls . You could have 3 per phase if you had 3 phase .

1 minute ago, pocster said:
1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

Have you modified your bad behaviour because of it?

Nope 

Pretty useful then.

Have you worked out the combined costs?

So the total cost of the two systems, price of imported energy that goes to the batteries, price of the PV etc etc.

And get your (expletive deleted)ing units right this is to work out the £/kWh (you can copy and paste that if you have to).

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

They all have moving algorithms which learn / watch behaviours, so yes, that is likely the explanation for this 'behaviour' vs a fault etc. As you say, leave it alone, it's prob smarter than we are.

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Nope. Solarwatt offering in 2.4kWh modularly stackable cells goes to 19.2kWh per stack, then add another stack, and then add another stack, and keeps going until you run out of wall.

Also has true unlimited throughput.

Anyway ! Does it have any smartness ? . Or just follow a simple ToU profile ? . Any predictive ness ??

Just now, pocster said:

Anyway ! Does it have any smartness ? . Or just follow a simple ToU profile ? . Any predictive ness ??

It's German, and Solarwatt is owned by the brother and sister who own BMW. Smartness and predictive-ness a plenty my friend.

If these two were in a pub brawl, the Tesla would call its mum to come get it :D 

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

Pretty useful then.

Have you worked out the combined costs?

So the total cost of the two systems, price of imported energy that goes to the batteries, price of the PV etc etc.

And get your (expletive deleted)ing units right this is to work out the £/kWh (you can copy and paste that if you have to).

That’s tricky for a lot of reasons !

So no I haven’t . But in 12 months I haven’t spent a penny on electric . I.e my export in summer covers any import . This was my intention. That includes 4K mileage on an EV also .

• Like 1

It's German, and Solarwatt is owned by the brother and sister who own BMW. Smartness and predictive-ness a plenty my friend.

If these two were in a pub brawl, the Tesla would call its mum to come get it :D 

My Tesla would win in a fight .

Just now, pocster said:

That’s tricky for a lot of reasons !

So no I haven’t . But in 12 months I haven’t spent a penny on electric . I.e my export in summer covers any import . This was my intention. That includes 4K mileage on an EV also .

But you have to factor in the replacement cost when the cells die.

Sorry to poop on the maths, but the above is an admirable achievement. Give the costs to @SteamyTea as he loves to work this kind of thing out. Then we can find the true cost per killerwhale hour ( KwWh or something )

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

But you have to factor in the replacement cost when the cells die.

Sorry to poop on the maths, but the above is an admirable achievement. Give the costs to @SteamyTea as he loves to work this kind of thing out. Then we can find the true cost per killerwhale hour ( KwWh or something )

Of course ! Also their degradation over time . But that was never my objective. So no ropey numbers for @SteamyTea

That'll be for another day then.... :S 

We’ve kind of had these conversations before . If I go and buy a new Tesla motor for 80k - no one does the maths on cost per mile including the initial 80k outlay . Because it’s a car it’s ok to be effectively’ cost in effective’ . 

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

We’ve kind of had these conversations before . If I go and buy a new Tesla motor for 80k - no one does the maths on cost per mile including the initial 80k outlay . Because it’s a car it’s ok to be effectively’ cost in effective’ . 

You can't drive your batteries to chuffing Sainsbury's though !?!

Roll on V2G!!! That will end this madness.

• Like 2

You can't drive your batteries to chuffing Sainsbury's though !?!

No - you are correct !

Pv / batteries at home rate FAR above a vehicle too me .

Anyway I won’t be seen dead in Sainsbury’s- Waitrose for me !