Tape measures - digital or steel?

Vijay

There was a post a little while ago where someone was asking about digital tape measures. I've got a Bosch digital tape measure which I used for the profile markers, but have been using a steel tape measure for the first course of ICF. For those who've used digital tape measures, how have you found their accuracy?

Cheers

Vijay

I remember that post cos it's a nightmare when you have to try and find the laser dot ;)  But I almost have the first course of ICF so would hopefully be much easier to locate that illusive dot! lol

PeterW mentioned a Lufkin tape measure in the post I mentioned, anyone used them as I'd like to know the width of the actual tape? (I think it's 10mm)

Over longer distances the digital tape is probably best but aiming is a pain in daylight. A long steel tape for distances over 5m is a must for good setting out and accuracy as plastic tapes are not usually not graduated in MM and can stretch. However all the measuring systems are not super accurate over the longer distances without compensation for temperature, humidity and pressure (depending on system used) EG and 8m steel tape at 20°C will be 8001mm at 28°C so over 40m it will be 5mm out! 

Edited by MikeSharp01
Typo

8 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Already got one of those open reel fibreglass ones but looking for something more precise for measurements on the actual build ;)

I have one of those, I'll have to dig it out and see if it stretches when pulled tight tight as opposed to laying it out on the ground.

2 hours ago, Triassic said:

I have one of those, I'll have to dig it out and see if it stretches when pulled tight tight as opposed to laying it out on the ground.

It shouldn't.  I still have an old metal cased Fibron tape that I used to use for surveying caves, and when I dug it out to use on site it was still fine (if a little bit muddy - full of South Wales mud.........).  My old Fibron 30m/100ft tape says that it's accurate to 1/8" inch at 100ft, according to the label on the case, so about 3.2mm.  I can live with that level of accuracy for setting out............