Which Render - Silicone vs Monocouche

richo106

Hi All

We are getting two quotes from local renderer's 

One uses EcoRend monocouche render and the other one uses Johnson 1.5mm Silicone render

Which render type is considered better?

Speaking to them I don't think there is going to be much difference in cost

All advice and information greatly appreciated as always 

Many Thanks

59 minutes ago, HughF said:

Sand/cement and paint every time… the modern renders look terrible after a few years.

No they don't...the rubbish modern renders do. 

I have TC15 krend silicone. TC stands for thin coat and 15 refers to the aggregate size which is 1.5mm in the top coat. 

It looks nothing short of brilliant. Don't skimp on this. Decide which render you want and use the approved applicators. 

Edited by SuperJohnG

Just been careful with the silicone make sure it’s silicone not acrylic on a solid wall construction as the acrylic isn’t breathable. Full silicone is breathable costs double. Monocouche  is a lot more crispy and clean in my eyes. Check there pervious work both can look smart in the right hands 

• 4 weeks later...

I’m getting several quotes for render.  It’s coming down to top spec silicone vs top spec Weber.   I’m leaning towards the silicone but welcome comments from anyone knowledgeable on this subject . . . . 

IMO sand and cement cracks, deteriates , and requires painting..  all of which are significantly reduced or eliminated with synthetic render , plus no painting required..  there is a reason why sand / cement is not used by the larger developers despite being twice the price of sand of cement..  

both the products you note work well ,  

Edited by andyj007

following this I have just had my render company out for a quote

He has said to use either JUB Nanofinish Thin-Coat Render or Weber Monochouche.  I was leaning towards the JUB as I live in an exposed area next to trees and thought it would be easier to clean ect and with stand the elements more lot of driving heavy rain.

Any advise or thoughts would be great