Cat portico tunnel

Garald

Someone on diy.stackexchange.com proposes a lined cat portico tunnel as the solution to combining sound insulation needs and cat needs. I had fantasized about the same. Would that really work (maybe in combination with the Passivhaus cat flap)? Is there anything like that being produced? I don't want to have to pay a fortune to a carpenter, but perhaps there's something that exists that can be hacked.

The inside of the tunnel should probably be covered in washable material - the cat will often use the tunnel right after using the cat toilet.

Edited by Garald

I’ve looked at this many times and after several experiments came to the conclusion cats do not like going through tunnels with flaps on … odd when they will happily crawl under floor boards. I wasn’t even trying for air tightness or insulation purposes, I simply wanted a cat flap in the wall instead of a door or window. But anything tube-like and my cats would not entertain the idea

1 hour ago, markc said:

I simply wanted a cat flap in the wall instead of a door or window. But anything tube-like and my cats would not entertain the idea

This summer-time exercise worked for us.

Feed them outside for a week.

Then - with the cats inside the house - put their feed outside at the tunnel entrance with both flaps up.

Then one flap down ....

Then do the same with both down.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Radian said:

I guess a tunnel with a door at each end reminds the cat of a trip to the vet in a cat carrier. Bad things happen there.

Go outside with a thermometer in hand, they will soon bolt though the tunnel.

This may not translate into French, they take their medicine differently there.

Edited by SteamyTea