Cable management - practical vs pretty

puntloos

Few people think cables are "pretty", so I'm somewhat wondering about a realistic, modern (we have a lot more devices now than we do in the past) approach to minimize visible cables, whilst not losing flexibility.

Some questions I'm currently thinking about:

- I have some ceiling-level devices (speakers, sensors, lights), so a certain amount of sockets should be near there. 

• Should I put power sockets visible, high up on the wall, or - since I have a ceiling void - place them in the void and have some way to get the cables down where needed?

- My computer desk is insane, I'm using about 20 sockets for all my gear, tons of adapters, monitors etc etc. 

• Should I install 20 sockets in the place where I expect my desk to be, or is it better to only provision for expected wattage (none of these devices are super greedy) and use 5-gang splitters or something

- Lighting ring, still haven't quite figured out what a 'sensible' approach is.

• I am going to be *mostly* knx/DALI based so it feels like a solution for a problem I won't have anyway

Does anyone have good 'bibles' on modern cable management?

1 hour ago, puntloos said:

- My computer desk is insane, I'm using about 20 sockets for all my gear, tons of adapters, monitors etc etc. 

• Should I install 20 sockets in the place where I expect my desk to be, or is it better to only provision for expected wattage (none of these devices are super greedy) and use 5-gang splitters or something

Wow, 20 is a lot. I have a 4-way powerboard screwed to the underside of my desk, so all that is visible is the single power cord to that. Works really well.

In your case, given that the power requirements for the whole desk are likely to be modest, I'd be tempted to install a couple of 10-outlet power boards in a similar way, with some decent cable management trays to keep things tidy. That way you only need two power cords from the desk, and two power outlets on the wall.

13 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Do you reallt need so many devices?

Ha. "arguably not" ;)

Let's count

- Monitor

- Desktop PC

- Laptop charger

- Second screen

- Video conferencing camera

- Speaker system (5 tiny speakers for computer, subwoofer)

- Powered steering wheel 

- VR headset

- Desk lamp

- Desk lamp 2

- Server

- Printer

- Charger

- Shredder

- Google Assistant screen

So that's 15. The rest is used on and off for chargers of various devices

Clearly I'm somewhat of a computer nerd but I am sure this is not too unusual

Edited by puntloos
  • Like 1

No alexa? No energy monitor? No TV screen? No powered external hard drive? No second phone charger? No spare socket for when you need to hoover the room? No mouse charger dock? No contingencies!? 

Not trying hard enough. :D

My study has all that plus all my guitar stuff. There’s 7 cables coming out of my modeller alone let alone all the other studio stuff. I have a better plan for the house build but I rather suspect I’ll be knee deep in cables all the same. 

29 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

My study has all that plus all my guitar stuff. There’s 7 cables coming out of my modeller alone let alone all the other studio stuff. I have a better plan for the house build but I rather suspect I’ll be knee deep in cables all the same. 

build a basement with a dedicated music room. 😉

4 hours ago, puntloos said:

Ha. "arguably not" ;)

Let's count

- Monitor

- Desktop PC

- Laptop charger

- Second screen

- Video conferencing camera

- Speaker system (5 tiny speakers for computer, subwoofer)

- Powered steering wheel 

- VR headset

- Desk lamp

- Desk lamp 2

- Server

- Printer

- Charger

- Shredder

- Google Assistant screen

So that's 15. The rest is used on and off for chargers of various devices

Clearly I'm somewhat of a computer nerd but I am sure this is not too unusual

Amateur list ! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Do you reallt need so many devices?

Yes of course. What can I see that's actually plugged in from where I'm sat now I wonder?

A Laptop, PC, Computer monitors x 3, Printer, Router, Ethernet switch, NAS, UPS, Amplifier, Mixing desk, Graphic EQ, Laser cutter, Laser extraction fan, Laser cooling unit, 3D printer, Bench PSU x 2, 240VAC isolation transformer, Oscilloscope, Signal generator x 2, Amazon Echo, Desk lights x 4, Raspberry Pi x 2, Soldering Iron x 2, Desoldering station, SMT rework station, Soldering extractor, Microscope, Glue gun, and a whole lot of other stuff not actually plugged in at the moment.

Haven't used the glue gun in quite a while though.

In my home office:

Plugged into the 4-outlet powerboard under the desk:

• Laptop
  • External monitor
  • Sit/stand desk
  • Battery charger (for AA/AAA cells)

Plugged into other sockets around the room:

• Guitar amp
  • Printer
  • Shredder

If I need to charge something, I generally use one of the USB ports on my laptop.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyway going back to one of my original question bits though: (ceiling level plugs for e.g. ceiling speakers) would you put plugs/sockets in a ceiling void, and then drill down into the livingroom, or would you just put the sockets in the actual living space?

This thread... It's doing me good because I thought I was the only idiot not to have installed enough sockets.

She who must be obeyed works occasionally in Ghana. I'm waiting for her to go there for a week or two to so that I can install extra sockets. If I'm clever about it she won't even notice when she gets back

• Like 1