Carpentry for cabbages

Pocster

Struggled with a suitable title .

I’ve got a door frame fixed in some stud . I can’t screw through into the concrete slab through fear of hitting ufh .

The side the door closes against though is loose- can’t see a way to fix it ( easy to move ) .

So for the moment I made this crude brace . Screwed to the frame then back to the osb wall . Does the job - but you know - there must be a better solution …? 

212941CE-BF14-45C3-A8B1-ADC6105E65A6.jpeg

B176EC1F-49D3-49A4-B35C-69B6C45FDA52.jpeg

I'll soon face a similar problem. Plan to glue the sole plate down and hope the mechanical fixings into the joists above and the solid walls to either side of the new stud will do the trick. 

One of the new walls won't have anything but the joists above and another stud wall to be secured to, so that will be fun. 

36 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

Plan to glue the sole plate down

I glued all the ground floor timber sole plates to the concrete floor in my last house. I used a gel PU glue which worked really well as it also expanded slightly to fill small gaps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gone West said:

I used a gel PU glue which worked really well as it also expanded slightly to fill small gaps.

I have just started to use one, quite expensive, but does seem to do a very good job.

I intend to do one of my long term tests with it. Stick a bit of timber to a paving slab and see how well it stands up to the weather.

image.png.40f7ce8ee427560a8ffedb99c0bd448a.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

I have just started to use one, quite expensive, but does seem to do a very good job.

I intend to do one of my long term tests with it. Stick a bit of timber to a paving slab and see how well it stands up to the weather.

image.png.40f7ce8ee427560a8ffedb99c0bd448a.png

Careful where you stick that nossle