Patio

Hi! I would like to replace my existing patio with porcelain tiles or sandstone tiles. A friend suggested I tile over the existing pavers but I don’t feel that is the right way to do it - several of them are loose/ wobbly and a couple are cracked. If I lift them all up I’m left with dirt as shown in the picture.

my idea would be to compact the dirt with a plate compactor, lay mortar, prime the tiles and lay - would this be ok? Or should I lay mortar on top of the existing pavers?

Thanks in advance 

David 

2D01F0F9-9795-43D1-8D5E-13D868398340.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Andehh said:

then full mortar base on top. 

^^^ Important advice that. Don't copy the way the old slabs were laid by plonking them down on dollops of mortar. It's a terrible shortcut that has all kinds of bad repercussions.

• Thanks 1

Porcelain will be very slippy when wet. Also make sure any tiles are suitable for cold weather as well as nonslip.

I have observed paving laying differences uk and Spain.  You don't see a lot of cracks and potholes in a spanish street or square because of 1. The weather. But 2. Because under the tiles is a  reinforced concrete slab, suitable for forklifts. But good builders do the same in domestic situations too. 

Therefore as above...dig out some more ground, lay compacted stone. Then I would lay a concrete slab with mesh, 70 thick. Then the tiles or slab are a finish. All on a slope.

If you want, you can break up the existing material small,  to use as hard-core on the bottom.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...