Water supply to detached shed/garage

daiking

Same as electrical query really.

But if water supply comes out of house above ground, can I get it to a garden building 10m away, downhill?

Also can you use a saniflo type unit to pump waste uphill to my main domestic waste services?

Water to the garden building should be no problem. Just bury a length of MDPE pipe deep enough that it won't freeze in winter. Bring it up inside the building and perhaps use a pipe heater on a frost stat or turn off the water and drain fittings in winter?

I don't think you can use a saniflow. See the "can" and "cannot" links on this page..

http://www.saniflo-pumpshop.co.uk/golden-rules-click-ordering/

Actually you might get away with it if just pumping water from a basin rather than a toilet. 

Would a soakaway be an option?

Edited by Temp

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Water to the garden building should be no problem. Just bury a length of MDPE pipe deep enough that it won't freeze in winter. Bring it up inside the building and perhaps use a pipe heater on a frost stat or turn off the water and drain fittings in winter?

I don't think you can use a saniflow. See the "can" and "cannot" links on this page..

http://www.saniflo-pumpshop.co.uk/golden-rules-click-ordering/

Did not know they worked that way. I was thinking about a toilet. Might still be possible but a bit more thought required.

The garden is lower than the house by a metre or so but the sewerage is pretty deep. I just don't think I can have my waste all underground. Perhaps overground to start with going into the bank and hitting the manhole thing would be ok? 

A toilet would be nice but what I'm really thinking, now I realise a garage and car would be too much for me...

A microbrewery in the garden.

• 8 months later...

So it seems like the IC invert is approx 400mm lower than the grass over a distance over 14m where I am interested. Also I could reduce that distance a little and any waste would be higher than grass level so this idea could be a goer. 

Unfortunately we are spending all our money getting other stuff done and I am not sure I can afford to get a pipe buried before a wall is built across where this pipe would lie in a weeks time. It’s now or never but now is a bit awkward.

Edited by daiking

On 18/03/2018 at 10:09, ProDave said:

Just get the builder to leave a gap and install a lintel so later you can dig it out and thread a pipe under the wall.

Yup. Ask him to install a section of 150mm soil pipe as a duct and build over it with lintels as Dave says. Then do it whenever your ready. :). The duct will be big enough to bring other services through too, like water and electric. Get the levels right with a laser or string line, but the bigger duct will give an inch either way for fine tuning.  

No point doing that as the patio will be built over the top in a couple of weeks. Really need to sort where the pipe is likely to go and drop it in with the founds.

the Routes on the bottom of the IC don’t point where I want the pipe to go so that end also needs working out to get it going the right way.

3 hours ago, daiking said:

No point doing that as the patio will be built over the top in a couple of weeks. Really need to sort where the pipe is likely to go and drop it in with the founds.

the Routes on the bottom of the IC don’t point where I want the pipe to go so that end also needs working out to get it going the right way.

Pictures ?

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

The chamber with the connections branching off in the wrong direction 

9_9

Sorry, it’s back under it’s lid and 3 paving slabs.

it looked like a conventional 5 inlet base. I suspect only 2 are used but the remaining inlets don’t point to where i want to go. I was told you should dig the trench all the way from the chamber to the lawn and pipe it all in before blocking it off. 

What sort of fall do you need for just liquid waste and what for solids? The point I picked was 14m from the IC I’m told with a 415mm delta. Nothing is planned yet so the 14m distance could be reduced a bit and that delta is based on the grass level. A building floor level would be higher than that to give more height and the input sink or toilet would be higher still.

is solids realistic? Or a stupid idea.

i also need to know how to deal with a cold water supply to this position. This can only possibly came through the house wall at above ground level. 

I don’t think I can do this anyway. It’s looking like being an extra £600 on top of the current price and really we’ve got to the point where we can’t spend anymore. ‘‘Tis a shame. 

@daiking

Can you just drop a 25mm alkathene pipe in low enough to avoid ground frost ? You could always fit a 'pee only' Saniflow unit later on then when funds allow?

Edit : It may have to be 32mm MDPE ( aka Alkathene ) or an insulated 22mm speedfit pipe to get the same internal bore as the typical 21.5mm discharge pipe. Still cheap as chips to get you future proofed. ;)

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

@daiking

Can you just drop a 25mm alkathene pipe in low enough to avoid ground frost ? You could always fit a 'pee only' Saniflow unit later on then when funds allow?

Edit : It may have to be 32mm MDPE ( aka Alkathene ) or an insulated 22mm speedfit pipe to get the same internal bore as the typical 21.5mm discharge pipe. Still cheap as chips to get you future proofed. ;)

It’s not the pipe that’s the issue, it’s the 10m long, 1m+ deep trench to hit the IC. 

Next week the wall will be built and the paving done a few weeks later.

No one needs a big in the shed.

the grey bin is stood on top of the IC and the wall will be built along the string line heading up to the neighbours garage. Ok it’s maybe not 7m but the spot I nominated was 14m from the IC

B77217EC-4F17-4613-B2DA-4E3089879F9B.jpeg

3EFD83DB-C43A-478D-8176-F74147C1E8FD.jpeg

Edited by daiking

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Your garden building isn't built yet is it? Couldn't you "just" raise that?

Will be bounded by permitted development rules, lol. Not much to play with height wise.

9 hours ago, daiking said:

It’s not the pipe that’s the issue, it’s the 10m long, 1m+ deep trench to hit the IC. 

300mm deep and a turf spade wide will suffice for an MDPE. It can go uphill - downhill - whatever. Just drop to manhole level AT the manhole. 

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

300mm deep and a turf spade wide will suffice for an MDPE. It can go uphill - downhill - whatever. Just drop to manhole level AT the manhole. 

I don’t think it’s worth it. Shed will probably be a bit smaller than hope anyway so unlikely to have room.

Had to cancel my plans for this weekend so I will be around for a good old spring tidy up in preparation of works. Few hundred salvaged bricks etc. 

I will probably run a water supply duct down the garden a bit (with a leccy one) but no waste as it stands. 

On 21/03/2018 at 21:58, daiking said:

Will be bounded by permitted development rules, lol. Not much to play with height wise.

Have the whole shed electro hydraulically raised when you need to take a dump thus raising the (flexible) fall pipe. Or site the wc in a raised section like Rapunzels tower and make it look like a dove cote.....

:ph34r:

Edit: Just raise the bloody thing and ENCOURAGE bats to take up residence. Can't see the council making you take that down!

Edited by Onoff

11 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Have the whole shed electro hydraulically raised when you need to take a dump thus raising the (flexible) fall pipe. Or site the wc in a raised section like Rapunzels tower and make it look like a dove cote.....

Strange, you don't normally drink this early in the day..... :S ? 

13 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Strange, you don't normally drink this early in the day..... :S ? 

I'm thinking a see-saw arrangement now to reduce overall height. Pumped water used as ballast to raise the wc side.....you'd just need to wait for the tank to fill before emptying yours...