Happy 2023 everyone!

Adsibob

I know this isn’t the right sub-forum for this thread, but I never introduced myself when I joined in Oct 2020, just 2.5 months before our RE-build started (which I’ve decided is a tad harder than a new build). In those first six months I spent so much of my time on this forum that by March 2021 when it was my birthday, the forum’s name featured in a gift that SWMBO made me (basically a framed miniature model of all my favourite things, and on the miniature tablet within the miniature model was the buildhub logo - hope she hasn’t committed a copyright breach!)

So just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the support, particularly for making me feel less alone in this journey. Self building can be a very stressful, difficult thing that not many people do; I’m a terrible perfectionist and often my own enemy which makes it all the harder. But I can’t imagine how I would have done it without all the people here. 

Happy New Year. 2023 has simply got to be better than 2022. Or at least let’s just believe that.

• Like 9

Yes, I hope this year is a bit more settled.

As my Mother is still about, even though she broke her leg again, last year really was a bonus year, for me, though I know not for others.

This year has started well, it is not raining yet, so time to go out and play.

Play is important.

• Like 4

Yes happy new year everyone.

This should be the year I retire and get more time for leisure.  It will be interesting just how easy it is to retire from self employment, I suspect I will still do some work for a while, but nowhere near as much.  Nobody is going to present me with a carriage clock and thank me for my dedicated service to the business.

So here is to more time on the water, sailing, and rowing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, ProDave said:

This should be the year I retire and get more time for leisure.  It will be interesting just how easy it is to retire from self employment, I suspect I will still do some work for a while, but nowhere near as much.  Nobody is going to present me with a carriage clock and thank me for my dedicated service to the business.

So here is to more time on the water, sailing, and rowing.

When I retired from being self employed I got more picky about the work I took on, only doing jobs I wanted, not working 7 days etc. I think everyone should retire by degrees not just suddenly stopping. Life it too short and retirement should be enjoyed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joe90 said:

When I retired from being self employed I got more picky about the work I took on, only doing jobs I wanted, not working 7 days etc. I think everyone should retire by degrees not just suddenly stopping. Life it too short and retirement should be enjoyed.

Yes my plan is just to do small jobs for customers I know.  I already turned down even looking at the wiring for a new build on the West Coast scheduled to happen later this year.

I could do with just one more year of NIC contributions after the end of the 2022/3 tax year.  What I have not been able to find is what is the minimum I can earn as self employed to qualify for that?  and then set that as my target, and when I reach that target, stop completely.

• Like 1