New member, new Self Build near Bristol starting 2023

DrewG

After a 15 month battle to get my Reserved Matters approved have finally done this so earlish 2023 will be the start of my new home. While this won't be my first new build it seems every build is so different! Still trying to decide foundations and build method. Have a LOT OF TREES which has dictated the shape of the house as well as creating services issues. Once have a couple more trees down at the entrance and can see what the final width restriction is will help determine if going to go down my preferred ICF route (I'm kinda leaning towards Isotex but looking at the alternatives too). Think the pinch point is going to be around 2.6 to 2.7m due to a TPO tree restricting the access so may just be able to squeeze cement lorry and boom pump lorries past. Once trees down will also give me a chance to get a digger in to do some trial holes as I believe from next door the bedrock may only be a few feet down so weighing up insulated raft versus trench fill (not sure on warrenty company attitude to potential tree roots but if bed rock only a few feet would think shouldn't be an issue...may post this as a new topic.

Cheers, some very interesting reading on here with some great advice. Drew

1 hour ago, DrewG said:

bed rock only a few feet would think shouldn't be an issue...may post this as a new topic.

Rock will not shrink and expand seasonally due to tree absorption. Rock is good except where you need to trench for drains through it.

You won't need a raft either, just footings for the wall and ground bearing slab for floor. Very, very much simpler and cheaper.

3 hours ago, DrewG said:

After a 15 month battle to get my Reserved Matters approved have finally done this so earlish 2023 will be the start of my new home. While this won't be my first new build it seems every build is so different! ....

Welcome.

You mention rock in the vicinity. You sound as if you're not near a main sewer. So my first question for you is - foul drainage? All OK there?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Welcome.

You mention rock in the vicinity. You sound as if you're not near a main sewer. So my first question for you is - foul drainage? All OK there?

I'm going to have to install a pumping station to pump 28m with about a 1m head (just hoping there's enough fall from the foul in the house to the pumping station location 20m from the house!

On 23/12/2022 at 17:10, Mr Punter said:

I guess it is not possible to site nearer the house?  Make sure it is near the drive as you will probably need to get it pumped out when the pump(s) fail.

Not possible due to tree's with TPO's. Will go dual pump and pumpout truck should hopefully fit down driveway.

On 23/12/2022 at 16:20, DrewG said:

.... (just hoping there's enough fall from the foul in the house to the pumping station location 20m from the house!

Read what @Triassic has written about the issue - I mention him - there will be others whom I have missed. He lives just up the valley from us : he's a very patient, thorough bloke.....