New Stairs Help

richo106

Hi All

Our project is underway and we will be having a new stairs installed, I was just after some advice as the builders are asking how much of an existing wall needs taking out to make room for the stairs. As my architect plans doesnt show it effects the kitchen area but i think it will

I have attached my plans, joist layout and picture of the area to help explain, the floor level with be 250mm higher than currently shown

Before people say I should of knocked it down, (maybe i should of) but its the way we decided to go in the end due to cost

Any advice/information greatly appreciated regarding the stairs 

Kind Regards

1932294923_StairsLocation.PNG

Final - 1050 002i Proposed Floor Plans and Elevations Revi.pdf ACTUAL - X90726G Posi JoistsAll.pdf

1 hour ago, richo106 said:

I was just after some advice as the builders are asking how much of an existing wall needs taking out to make room for the stairs. As my architect plans doesnt show it effects the kitchen area but i think it will

Aren't architects supposed to work this out for you?

• Thanks 1

You will end up with a bulkhead in the kitchen as the stairs will only have risen 1600-1800mm when it clashes with the kitchen wall, so any tall units or wall units in that corner will need to be "modified".

Unrelated rant:  I hate it when arrows on stair drawings do not indicate up.  Just so confusing.  It is sometimes even worse when they put "up" and "dn" next to the arrow as they look the same with the plan the other way up.

Thanks all for the comments and apologies for my very vague/lack of information in my original post. I have now looked a lot more into this and have got some more details.

My ceiling height (to bottom of joists) is 2600mm and my finish floor level is 2870mm (2600 + 225 (joists) + 22 (T&G) + 20 (UFH & screed)

I wanted to start the stairs at least 400mm away from the snug/study door way and then relating back to my joist layout this gives me a total horizontal length of roughly 3140mm

I had a little play on stairbox and this fits within regs OK. 

42 degrees is the max allowable pitch of the stairs, does this feel steep? 

There is different options regarding number of steps so alters height per step and also going (depth of step)

Can anybody with a bit more experience offer any advice on a 'nice' stairs pitch, step height/depth

That is my plan @Mr Punter tall kitchen units along that side to hide the stairs bulkhead

My plan now is to get the posi joists installed when the building is ready, then string a line down at the correct angle to show what bricks need removing?

Thanks again