Corrugated Asbestos Roof Options

OldVirgin

Hi guys,

I'm converting my empty garage into a home office/gym/garage and I'm currently in the preparational stage of working out the ins and out of what I'm going to do. 

There's a lot that needs doing but the main issue I have, is that the roof is a standard corrugated roof and I believe it to be asbestos (haven't had any samples yet). I am proposing to create a false ceiling so I can insulate the office/gym space and trap some of those azzy fibres dropping into those spaces if the roof ever becomes damaged - I'm just wondering whether creating a simple framed suspended ceiling just below the corrugated roof and sliding some celotex in-between the two would poise any condensational problems or what other people might suggest? 

Replacing the asbestos roof for a bitumen corrugated roof instead is an option, but I  don't think it's going to help much with creating a false ceiling for insulation.

Secondary to that, I am shying away from the traditional plasterboard as a ceiling option as I feel like the dampness of the garage might make it weak and liable to fall so would blue-aqua plasterboard or even ply be a better option to use? 

Thanks,

Darren

Depends what you want to achieve. 

Drafty cold building, but you don’t care as you will be weightlifting in your thong. 

Or

nice and toasty office that your wife works in. 

If you want the latter then you will need to completely design the whole thing, a bit of  insulation stuffed under a draughty roof won’t cut it. 

how old is the roof? unlikely to contain asbestos if sheets made after mid 80's. Also there are a lot of skip companies provide for sheet disposal...but you will need to register the roof with environment agency to receive a serial number for your property...this allows chain of custody when disposing of it. The skip company will take the number and issue you with a disposal number from them.

Ha. 

Somewhere in between would be ideal? I'm proposing the office and gym to be a self-contained pod-style design. A box within a box, if you will. I just wanted to put some thought into insulating the gap between the ceiling of the room, and the roof of the garage for extra comfort.

I'm not looking to make the garage into a second house. A bit of office space for the day, a space for a gym and the remaining space as a small workshop with storage. If it's a bit chilly, it's not going to be a big problem.

1 minute ago, gravelrash said:

how old is the roof? unlikely to contain asbestos if sheets made after mid 80's. Also there are a lot of skip companies provide for sheet disposal...but you will need to register the roof with environment agency to receive a serial number for your property...this allows chain of custody when disposing of it. The skip company will take the number and issue you with a disposal number from them.

Not sure exactly. The house is 1970s-ish. It looks quite fibreous.

1 hour ago, OldVirgin said:

Hi guys,

I'm converting my empty garage into a home office/gym/garage and I'm currently in the preparational stage of working out the ins and out of what I'm going to do. 

There's a lot that needs doing but the main issue I have, is that the roof is a standard corrugated roof and I believe it to be asbestos (haven't had any samples yet). I am proposing to create a false ceiling so I can insulate the office/gym space and trap some of those azzy fibres dropping into those spaces if the roof ever becomes damaged - I'm just wondering whether creating a simple framed suspended ceiling just below the corrugated roof and sliding some celotex in-between the two would poise any condensational problems or what other people might suggest? 

Replacing the asbestos roof for a bitumen corrugated roof instead is an option, but I  don't think it's going to help much with creating a false ceiling for insulation.

Secondary to that, I am shying away from the traditional plasterboard as a ceiling option as I feel like the dampness of the garage might make it weak and liable to fall so would blue-aqua plasterboard or even ply be a better option to use? 

Thanks,

Darren

I'd strip the roof and add box profile sheeting if doing it on a budget or upgrade structure and tile/slate if I wanted to do a really nice job of it. Inside I would insulate and PB to a new build house spec. or better.

Edited by Carrerahill

1 minute ago, Carrerahill said:

I'd strip the roof and add box profile sheeting if doing it on a budget or upgrade structure and tile/slate if I wanted to do a really nice job of it. 

Aside the obvious aesthetics, what are the benefits to replacing the roof for a different style?

If it looks darkish grey and weatherbeaten then it is likely to bd asbestos fibres in it. Not dangerous in the slightest unless you make dust from it.

The likeliest problem would confensatikn or other damp getting onto or into your new inner ceiling.

As a ptoper job, get the sheeting removed and build a suitable new roof, with insulation.

As a justifiable bodge, build an understructure, but separate it from the roof with polythene covering, on a slope.  It may fail but at 1/4 the cost of the proper job.

i assumed it was some crappy old sectional garage you were trying to make habitable.

if your place is like that then you are in a much better position. i would do as most have said and strip the old roof off as its probably pretty knackered and stick box profile and some breathable membrane then your insulation/ roof walls etc..

4 hours ago, gaz_moose said:

i assumed it was some crappy old sectional garage you were trying to make habitable.

if your place is like that then you are in a much better position. i would do as most have said and strip the old roof off as its probably pretty knackered and stick box profile and some breathable membrane then your insulation/ roof walls etc..

It's a 6m x 4m garage with block walls and a correlated azzy roof. Not a pre-fabbed garage if that's what you mean? Not particularly looking to make it "habitable" just usable for a bit of office space. 

Do you think replacing the roof is a MUST? Trying to limit how much I neccesarily need to do. I'm happy to replace the azzy corrugated for some bitumin corrugated to freshen it up but I want to avoid putting a completely new roof on it, if possible. My main concern is whether I can realistically create an insulated false roof internally (framed ceiling as in the above photo with some celotex in between the sections and boarded over), without introducing condensation and ventilation problems?

Celotex. Cut to fit inbetween the timbers. No too thick, so at least some of the timber vertical face is visible.

That way, the timers can half a decent chance of staying dry, and not rotting away.

Celotex needs to be a good fit. Gapotape is your friend. If expensive.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Roger440 said:

Celotex. Cut to fit inbetween the timbers. No too thick, so at least some of the timber vertical face is visible.

That way, the timers can half a decent chance of staying dry, and not rotting away.

Celotex needs to be a good fit. Gapotape is your friend. If expensive.

Thanks, this is exactly what I'm hoping to achieve. Would you suggest leaving a gap between the celotex and the roofing sheet OR between the celotex and the ceiling (plasterboard or plywood) to aid ventilation? 

1 hour ago, OldVirgin said:

Thanks, this is exactly what I'm hoping to achieve. Would you suggest leaving a gap between the celotex and the roofing sheet OR between the celotex and the ceiling (plasterboard or plywood) to aid ventilation? 

Id just push it to the roof. Its corrugated so there will still be airflow over it.

• Like 1