Log Burner advice

richo106

21 minutes ago, Glenn said:

This writer has an open friendly style about hearths. Quite accessible

https://www.stovefitterswarehouse.co.uk/pages/hearth-regulations

That seems to support my theory that a totally level floor with just a different colour for the hearth is acceptable, as in my previous house that had a tiled hearth and wooden flooring both set level, a clear visual boundary.

If you are tiling the whole room and want it level, tile the hearth with different colour tiles.

Just thought I would go to the horses mouth so to speak.. eg Approved Doc J. I know that's not actually the Building Regs but...

2.26 An appliance should be located on a hearth so that it is surrounded by a surface free of combustible material as shown in Diagram 26. This surface may be part of the surface of the hearth provided in accordance with Paragraph 2.23, or it may be the surface of a superimposed hearth laid wholly or partly upon a constructional hearth. The boundary of this surface should be visually apparent to provide a warning to the building occupants and to discourage combustible f loor finishes such as carpet from being laid too close to the appliance. A way of achieving this would be to provide a change in level.

So sure a raised surface is only "a way" of achieving the requirements but the intent seems clear. The idea is to discourage people putting carpet/rugs too close.