Trickle vents (yes, this discussion again)

HughF

We are starting on our single story rear extension next spring and I'd like to get ahead of the curve and get the 2x windows ordered up. My understanding of the latest regs is that BC will expect trickle vents, or 'other ventilation'. I'd prefer to fit a dMVHR through the wall to handle air changes. Either a Partel Lunos, or something similar. I don't have trickle vents on the rest of the house.

Can I go ahead and order my windows up without trickle vents? We will be using the builders preferred BCO, not the council officer.

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Also chat with your window supplier, as trickle vents should be a retro fit option afaik. 

As in they can be fitted after delivery? I suppose it's just a router job after all. My supplier will manufacture them with/without depending on what's required.

I don't need to get them ordered so soon, but I'd rather they were at least on the way to being delivered and not holding things up. I'm ahead of the curve on the new heating system, I'd like to get the windows/door finalised with my wife and ordered up before I find something more interesting to spend my cash on :D

Edited by HughF

4 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup. You don’t need a router, most are done in the factory by a gibbon with a drill and they simply do a series of holes, then ream them out to make a ‘slot’. Few minutes work max in PVC. 

Interesting, cheers. I'll start a line of conversation with my builders BCO and see what he's happy with. I know my wife will go mad if we're forced to have trickle vents, she hates drafts.

11 hours ago, HughF said:

We are starting on our single story rear extension next spring and I'd like to get ahead of the curve and get the 2x windows ordered up. My understanding of the latest regs is that BC will expect trickle vents, or 'other ventilation'. I'd prefer to fit a dMVHR through the wall to handle air changes. Either a Partel Lunos, or something similar. I don't have trickle vents on the rest of the house.

Can I go ahead and order my windows up without trickle vents? We will be using the builders preferred BCO, not the council officer.

In England 

You don’t need trickle vents in an extension 

Sorry if this has already been answered 

The correct thing to do would be to ask your window supplier to manufacture the windows without trickle vents being drilled. And supply the trickle vent plastic bits separately.

If the building inspector insists on fitting them, then screw them on to the frame, but don't actually drill to provide ventilation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nod said:

In England 

Sorry if this has already been answered 

The FAQs I've read from two window suppliers say otherwise, but from reading ADF1, it seems that a single room heat recovery ventilator is acceptable (as expected).

1218001639_Screenshotfrom2022-11-2513-59-25.png.21a63fc485e8b5e8b1a49dbff51e9546.png

Stick them on with double-sided tape, then take them off when BCO sign things off ;)

6 hours ago, nod said:

In England 

You do, rule changes from June. Unless alternative means of background ventilation exist.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1045918/ADF1.pdf

0.7 New extensions to historic and traditional dwellings should comply with all ventilation standards in this approved document unless there is a need to match the external appearance or character of the extension to that of the host building.

Our friends finished there self build this summer and decided not to fit vents Bc flagged it But still signed off 

We will do the same It’s nonsense making your home airtight and having trickle vents That are drafty even when closed 

First thing the air test guy did was tape them up How can it be a true assessment