Poly Steel ICF a valid option?

Jenki

Has anybody had experience with these blocks? https://polysteel.co.uk/

I'm starting looking at other options for my planned timber frame build, as the increased insulation costs are making ICF look more affordable. (possibly cheaper).

These are UK made, and have a steel web which looks substantial. The online available information is limited, and leaves me a lot of questions.

I don't know this product. All I can contribute is that I was inspired to try to use similar products, but couldn't ever get near it being best value. 

If you can find a good joiner, stick built is cheapest and easy enough to seal and insulate.. Ours is really good, but airtightness is clearly not taught at college. So we are watching that.

I can't see why these eps products are not more competitive...so maybe this is the one.

The website doesn't mention cost at all, which doesn't bode well. I predict that their salesman will avoid any discussion of cost....so please keep us informed...I'd be happy for you if I am wrong. 

We built with Polysteels Warmerwall ICF on the recommendation of our architect who has designed a number over the years. 

No issues or bursts during pours. The SE though clearly didn't understand it as specified rebar both vertically and horizontally throughout whereas I believe you can build up to 4 floors without it. 

The steel web also has a strip of steel which line up when the blocks are put together. These are great for self tapping the upright supports and then the brick ties (if used) or you could just directly tap cladding onto it. 

One thing I would try and work to is to build your design around the size of the blocks so reduces the amount of cutting required. 

Here are some pics.

New ICF blocks.jpg

New build ICF concrete poured.jpg

11 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I don't know this product. All I can contribute is that I was inspired to try to use similar products, but couldn't ever get near it being best value. 

If you can find a good joiner, stick built is cheapest and easy enough to seal and insulate.. Ours is really good, but airtightness is clearly not taught at college. So we are watching that.

I can't see why these eps products are not more competitive...so maybe this is the one.

The website doesn't mention cost at all, which doesn't bode well. I predict that their salesman will avoid any discussion of cost....so please keep us informed...I'd be happy for you if I am wrong. 

My Budget is tight, and I plan (planned) stick built on site by me, and my trusty apprentice. to get decent U values. I was going for 100mm wood fibre, 8*2 with Frametherm 32 OSB, then service cavity etc.

The design is simple to reduce costs. walls plus gables are around 112 M2. when you add the cost of timber / OSB  battens and then the  inflated costs of Frametherm32 and wood fibre your hitting 13K without thinking about vapour barriers / breather membranes battens etc.  

I've only had two quotes so far. but 10.6K delivered, this includes ICF for the strip footing, and a U of 0.13 with poly steel (this is the standard block with 100mm EPS EWI) obviously need to add to this Concrete,, pump and rebar but its starting to look favourable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Any ICF is a great choice, things to be mindful of if doing it yourself is support - whether the supplier or a local installer is available to review and give advice when needed 

+ 1000%. In fact it's probably as important as the product itself. 

I'd ask your supplier what their re-supply situation is: for us with (spits hard) Durisol  it was hard work.

8 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

+ 1000%. In fact it's probably as important as the product itself. 

I'd ask your supplier what their re-supply situation is: for us with (spits hard) Durisol  it was hard work.

Yea I heard a few people got stuck when they went into receivership unfortunately. Stocking distributors is very important and people on the ground to assist when needed for advice 

On 24/11/2022 at 18:25, Jenki said:

Has anybody had experience with these blocks? https://polysteel.co.uk/

I'm starting looking at other options for my planned timber frame build, as the increased insulation costs are making ICF look more affordable. (possibly cheaper).

These are UK made, and have a steel web which looks substantial. The online available information is limited, and leaves me a lot of questions.

Polysteel are just down the road, you could even visit them - Unit 10 Norton Enterprise Park, Whittle Road, Salisbury, SP2 7YS

2 minutes ago, Adrian Walker said:

Polysteel are just down the road, you could even visit them - Unit 10 Norton Enterprise Park, Whittle Road, Salisbury, SP2 7YS

652 miles down the road for me😂

7 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

@Jenki

if your at £10,000 for blocks your not going to build it under £13,000, unless I didn’t understand your comment. 

Concrete pump bracing, timber, labour, will put you right back up with the timberframe price. 

@Russell griffiths. you didn't mis understand.  Labour is me and the mrs, so i'm ignoring this. either way.

Concrete pump this high up in the highlands is far from cheap but I've got a cost.

Timber frame was going to be DIY insulated foundation, if i go for ICF then ill use ICF block to get to DPM (that's included in the price, as well as structural calcs) so I will save on the reinforcement, and EPS300 costs.  not great savings but they all add up.

Please comment from your experience with my thoughts on approach.

Bracing will be DIY with timber and some adjustment hardware. and I'll pour the concrete from scaffolding on the external. The scaffold will assist with the bracing. I'll reuse the timber bracing for studwork.

The way I see it and the costs, I'll get ICF structure to wall plate / gables for 15K. (this will have a u value of 0.13 for walls, and 0.11 for slab (300mm EPS) and minimal thermal bridge.

With timber frame I will then need to start on airtightness for the walls, battens for service cavity etc. so yes a little more expensive than timber frame , but not massively. and having experienced a few weeks of the weather up here toward winter, I'm feeling better about a solid lump of concrete.

I built in icf, purely for the solid lump feel, and the dampness, I’m right next to a large lake and dismissed timberframe very quickly. 

But don’t do it to save money, I think what you might save in one hand you will spend in the other. 

I built with a poly type icf and did no external covering for two years, my shell was fully airtight and watertight as soon as the roof went on, so could be good for getting on inside if the weather is crap for outside work. 

If going icf on a slab pay attention to slab and wall junction, I have seen this be a pour area for water Ingres. 

If i was remote like you I would go, strip footing, icf walls and an insulated slab internally to form the floor 

47 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

If i was remote like you I would go, strip footing, icf walls and an insulated slab internally to form the floor 

This was my plan, the Polysteel blocks are 600mm high, so strip footing (although the area has been excavated to bedrock.), then 1 course of ICF block to DPC, 300mm EPS on MOT for the slab. 

18 hours ago, Jenki said:

This was my plan, the Polysteel blocks are 600mm high, so strip footing (although the area has been excavated to bedrock.), then 1 course of ICF block to DPC, 300mm EPS on MOT for the slab. 

Yep, starter bars in footing, then a course of blocks, then pour, then floor or walls. 

The only drama like that is needing a pump or some way to get concrete around site probably 3 times not twice. 

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, jovius said:

how did you get on with this ? did you use poly steel ? how did you find it ?

ive just found your post with the pour , lookig good 

Very happy with the product. And the help Will @ Pollysteel gave.

Only issue(as you've read), was a slight movement of the corner block. I was never worried about bursts.

• Like 1