Inverter output to house load

lakelandfolk

Hello, We have a Solax X1 AC 3.0 Inverter and Solax 12.6kwh batteries. As I understand, although the batteries can hold up to 12.6kwh the inverter will only release that at max of 3.0kwh. If we were to replace the inverter with, a larger circa 6kwh inverter, would that allow us to draw 6kwh to supply a couple of small electric+oil radiators?  Would increasing to 6kwh create a problem with the electricity supply company?   Our solar panels are rated at 6.2kwh peak

43 minutes ago, lakelandfolk said:

As I understand, although the batteries can hold up to 12.6kwh the inverter will only release that at max of 3.0kwh

Right, it is a 12.6 kWh battery and the inverter will draw at 3 kW.

So about 4.2 hours at maximum power.

A normal electrical heater is about 2 kW, so you could run 1 on full power, and another on half power. Or get some 1 kW ones.

Your solar panels are 6.2 kWp.

kWh is energy, kW is power.

Power is the rate that you use the energy.

49 minutes ago, Nick Thomas said:

Anything grid-connected above 3.6kW requires a G99 application: https://connections.nationalgrid.co.uk/g99-connection-procedures . It costs to apply, and they may just say no.

Presumably with 6.2 kWp of solar PV installed a G99 approval has already been issued. What inverter is the PV connected to? Do they have a hybrid / DC coupled option?

The solar X battery system mentioned is AC coupled so will definitely need more DNO permission to install that along side the PV, whatever size inverter it uses. 

39 minutes ago, lakelandfolk said:

We are trying to source another 6.3kwh battery to add to our system which would increase our total storage capacity to 18.9kwh. Would that require us to obtain a G99 certificate too?

Depends on what is limiting the potential overspill to the grid. 

Generally speaking your inverter limits the amount of power that comes out our the battery storage.

Think of your inverter as a tap, and your batteries as the water cylinder.

Small tap, little flow (kW) large tap, bigger flow. The longer either tap is on, the less water is stored, eventually it runs dry, until it is topped up.

1 hour ago, lakelandfolk said:

Thank you all for explaining the inverter situation. It looks like the max inverter possible would be 3.6 without going for the G99 certificate which we don't want to do. Many thanks again

I'm confused how your 6.2kW of solar is connected up without having a G99. 

Note you can't have 3.6kW of solar and also 3.6kW battery inverter without approval. It's the sum of all inverters that must come to less than 3.6, not each one in isolation 

Hi @lakelandfolk

It might be good to sketch your system. So people can understand the system you have. 

The devil is in the detail. 

I think of kW as the power flow rate, and kWh as the amount of power counted.

2kw heater running for 2 hours gives 4kWh used.

M

48 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I think of kW as the power flow rate, and kWh as the amount of power counted.

No.

Power is the Energy flow rate i.e. 1 W per second.

A watt is a joule per second, so if you divide that by time, the seconds cancel out and you are left with just the joule, which is the the SI derived unit for energy.

There are:

3,600,000 J in a kWh

k for 1000 x 1 W [for j/s] x h for hour [for 3,600 seconds].

Edited by SteamyTea

4 hours ago, joth said:

I'm confused how your 6.2kW of solar is connected up without having a G99. 

Note you can't have 3.6kW of solar and also 3.6kW battery inverter without approval. It's the sum of all inverters that must come to less than 3.6, not each one in isolation 

You can have as much PV installed as you want. The DNO is only interested in what can potentially discharge to the grid which is limited by the inverter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lakelandfolk said:

We are trying to source another 6.3kwh battery to add to our system which would increase our total storage capacity to 18.9kwh. Would that require us to obtain a G99 certificate too?

If discharge to the house from your 6.3kwh battery  is limited by your 3kw inverter then doubling the battery capacity wont make any difference to the discharge rate of 3kw, if the second battery is connected up in the same way as the first.

What's the objection to a G99 application for a bigger inverter?

Edited by Dillsue

The £650 application fee for G99 (depending on location) is a big disincentive. OP may have split panels East/West or otherwise not optimally placed which mean gains from upgrading would never pay this (plus the inverter upgrade cost) off. All depends on individual usage, it is a shame a 3.68kW inverter wasn't put in originally though.

11 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

They do, sometimes surprisingly, say yes. 
Always ask ;)  

We were advised to ask for 8.5 kW (the most we could fit on the roof) 7 years ago, and it was granted without question. I was surprised.

1 hour ago, S2D2 said:

The £650 application fee for G99 (depending on location) is a big disincentive. 

Wow, is that typical? I mean, it's been an awfully long time since we applied (mid-2015 I think), but I don't recall paying an application fee.

SPEN told us informally within a few days we were ok to double export from 16A to 32A. Formal G99 application was £300. Be concious that once youve got approval its unlikely to be withdrawn so youve got the "right" to export for ever.

I'm sure it's been said in the past that some DNOs havent charged for a G99 application??

10 hours ago, bertybuttface said:

What if you capped export? Would that still count?

I think they're interested in what the inverter is capable of, rather than what it's configured to do, but I'm not certain. There's also a G100 scheme which is about capped export, but I've never had occasion to dig into it.