Help rectify a backing up sewer

Barryscotland

We are having a problem with our drains backing up whenever there’s really heavy rain. First noticed during a heavy downpour that the drains where gurgling and a sewage smell in the house luckily the lid at the inspection chamber came of and allowed the water out otherwise the waste water would of been running out of the shower trays, since then if there’s heavy rain I’ve been lifting the inspection chamber lid and sticking a bung in the pipe till the rains pass. I’ve had a camera down the pipe and all is clear as far as the main sewer in the road 20m away. I think the problem is we live near the bottom of a hill lined with older houses that all have combined sewers then across from us is another road going uphill lined with houses with combined sewers that run into the sewer pipe running down the road I’m on and join the sewer about 5m downhill of where I do. I think the water backs up from this point.

I have a one way valve I could fit but it will end up under driveway so not wanting to do this if they are known to be problematic?

The other option I may have is there is another leg of my sewer pipe that the static caravan was originally plumbed into that runs beside a french drain, had thought I could dig it back up an remove the plug and replace it with some kind of mesh then dig a channel the half meter to the french drain then back fill stone and any backing up water would go down the french drain?

any other suggestions?

No suggestions but years ago I wired a steading conversion that had just been connected to the sewer and it backed up like you describe in heavy rain and to say the least it "made a bit of a mess"

The solution in that case was abandon the direct sewer connection, connected to a higher sewer point which then meant a holding tank and sewage pumping station.  Lets hope you find a simpler solution.

So is the main sewer backing up? I would notify the water co that the main doesnt appear to be coping when it rains . Tell them you think it might be partly blocked and you already had yours inspected. 

Remember the rules changed a few years ago so they are responsible for more of the network. 

who-is-responsible-for-your-drains.png.07cc17ed1a729034ce756f5d142f73f3.png

15 hours ago, Barryscotland said:

We are having a problem with our drains backing up whenever there’s really heavy rain. First noticed during a heavy downpour that the drains where gurgling and a sewage smell in the house luckily the lid at the inspection chamber came of and allowed the water out otherwise the waste water would of been running out of the shower trays, since then if there’s heavy rain I’ve been lifting the inspection chamber lid and sticking a bung in the pipe till the rains pass. I’ve had a camera down the pipe and all is clear as far as the main sewer in the road 20m away. I think the problem is we live near the bottom of a hill lined with older houses that all have combined sewers then across from us is another road going uphill lined with houses with combined sewers that run into the sewer pipe running down the road I’m on and join the sewer about 5m downhill of where I do. I think the water backs up from this point.

I have a one way valve I could fit but it will end up under driveway so not wanting to do this if they are known to be problematic?

The other option I may have is there is another leg of my sewer pipe that the static caravan was originally plumbed into that runs beside a french drain, had thought I could dig it back up an remove the plug and replace it with some kind of mesh then dig a channel the half meter to the french drain then back fill stone and any backing up water would go down the french drain?

any other suggestions?

Sounds like a Scottish Water issue not yours, well an issue for you in the sense of flooding yes.

I would speak to them. They are pretty good as showing up and doing inspections and investigations I have found. 

Sometimes a backflow preventer would be used, but that is just a bandaid and they can bung up. 

Edited by Carrerahill

18 hours ago, Temp said:

So is the main sewer backing up? I would notify the water co that the main doesnt appear to be coping when it rains . Tell them you think it might be partly blocked and you already had yours inspected. 

Remember the rules changed a few years ago so they are responsible for more of the network. 

Yes it's the main sewer thats backing up. 

Will give Scottish Water a try and hope they have a solution.