Concealing tap

Pocster

Macerator water feed is a pain .

Ideally I want it ‘hidden ‘ - but may need access if unit needs removing . Even if I surface mount this appliance tap I’ll still have to have some tee to get it into the wall . Will look pants !

That hose is nice and non flexible- I’m reluctant to shorten it as it’s the supplied pre installed pipe .

F289D2BC-17C1-45D7-B931-3771AEA65E39.jpeg

Actually all the fittings are a dog as jubilee clip .

Can’t see how to fix it all water tight and have access to remove it if an issue ; yet tight to the wall . Tempted to make the whole lower section of that wall a removable panel . This wc will be tiled .

Best solution ??

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1

I just can't see how to do any of it and have pipe/taps concealed.

There's no way I can get my hand down either side to loosen/tighten a jubilee clip.

Too make matters worse the inlet for a sink is on the right; whilst my sink is on the left meaning discharge outlet and sink inlet must cross each other 😠

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

The whole thing needs to be accessible for servicing.  How about a removable panel system which could include a concealed cistern as well, think of what you see in most public toilets.

Yeah I know. I can build the stud wall around it - but then when it fails I'm stuffed. This compact unit doesn't have a cistern....

Ideally ( when it fails ); remove the screws that clamp unit to the floor then slide it forward so all pipework is accessible - just can't see how to achieve that ; flexible macerator output pipe?????

What about this for the waste discharge?

https://unifloproducts.co.uk/product/flexible-extendable-40-32mm-waste-inlet-tube/

It looks like jubilee clip each end ( I assume not solvent weld ) - so that does mean when it connects to the 'proper' discharge pipe embedded in the wall it would be jubilee clip - which means it will not be accessible ( which I don't like )

Only sensible way I can see of doing this.

Red pipe is discharge pipe and is surface mounted! ( Grrrrrrr ). So vertical down in corner then right with a fleicone ( or similar ) to make remove etc. easier.

Green pipe is sink outlet in the stud work and pops out to the right of the pan. Easier to access there with jubilee clips

Water inlet just gets 'pushed' up inside the wall ; plenty of length on it if pan needs to be pulled forward.

EDIT: though I could box in the red discharge pipe at least until the bottom I suppose.....

IMG_6651.jpg

Edited by pocster

16 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I can't see what gubbins you have to hide, but what about (say) offsetting the loo slightly to one side, and having say a 150mm deep by x by y enclosure on the other side which simply lifts off completely?

F

Possibly . Unfortunately waste goes to the left and basin in goes to the right . So you would need an enclosure on both sides 

16 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I have seen that sort of flush where it just opens a valve from the mains water, mostly in the USA, but never seen one in the UK so I assumed our water byelaws don't allow them?

It’s been available in the U.K. for a few good years ….

In our bathroom my builder was fretting about all the pipes, taps and spouts he had to fit into the wall. I just told him to batten out the whole wall about 4" rather than part of it. Made the whole thing easier and neater. 

Battons were covered in hardi backer board. We cut an access hatch behind the free standing bath to get to things like the pressure reducers in the void. Whole wall is covered in travertine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Temp said:

In our bathroom my builder was fretting about all the pipes, taps and spouts he had to fit into the wall. I just told him to batten out the whole wall about 4" rather than part of it. Made the whole thing easier and neater. 

Battons were covered in hardi backer board. We cut an access hatch behind the free standing bath to get to things like the pressure reducers in the void. Whole wall is covered in travertine.

Yeah I can do that . It’s the ‘removal ‘ of the sanicompact when it fails that is the issue . I can fit it now easily and batten out the walls . But it will be impossible to remove without breaking the walls . 

8 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah I can do that . It’s the ‘removal ‘ of the sanicompact when it fails that is the issue . I can fit it now easily and batten out the walls . But it will be impossible to remove without breaking the walls . 

I would batten out the whole wall deep enough to allow any pipe crossing and the sanicompact unit. Fit 12.5mm Hardibacker sheets creating a large access hatch at the bottom. Possibly full width, but at least large enough to get the sanicompact out. 

The main issue is fixing the hatch panel and disguising the edges. I use magnetic catches to hold our smaller hatches in and aluminium trim (photo) but I'm sure there are other ways. You could even grout them so they can't be seen but you have to remember which grout lines to cut to get the panel out and there us a risk of those grout lines cracking.  I did this on a horizontal hatch above a concealed cistern and it worked OK. It's meant to be serviceable through the flush plate but I wanted better access.

Just noticed I missed a bit of grout at the top right of the hatch...

20221005_194655.thumb.jpg.9fc70ada9bfa4d0d278ea552ac4024fd.jpg

• Like 1