they all have my name on the but some have them name as customer ref as cash account.  Also what if they have tools on them as well do I just remove the cost of the tools and VAT or are the

9 minutes ago, nod said:

As long as they have site address your home address or your name on them 

They are fine

?

1 hour ago, GrantMcscott said:

they all have my name on the but some have them name as customer ref as cash account.  Also what if they have tools on them as well do I just remove the cost of the tools and VAT or are the

?

Unfortunately you will have to sort through them 

All we did was put a line through the items that we didn’t want included and adjusted the vat total accordingly 

3 hours ago, GrantMcscott said:

Hi

90% of my invoices are elctronic and a mass amount of them have copy watermarked on them.  If I print them out are they still classed as original VAT invoices?

I hope so as this is all I have

thanks

Hi Grant

Yep, that’s a query a few of us have asked.  I asked for clarification from HMRC via the DIY Community Forum.  Responses come from the HMRC DIY team where we send our VAT invoices too. Their response with regards to invoices which print out with ‘copy’ on them is - shouldn’t be a problem, just send a brief covering letter when submitting your claim stating that’s the way the invoices printed out from your supplier.  From reading the forum, others have done exactly that without any problem.  My claim has just gone this week, hoping for the same.

Jac

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

I used a VAT expert to deal with my claim and can’t speak highly enough of them, they chased some suppliers for me to get the correct invoice (which I thought was ok). In the end they claimed more fir me than I expected which more than paid fir their fee.      https://www.vat431.co.uk

I’ve done the claim myself, recorded the invoices on a spreadsheet.  Very easy and simple.  HMRC’s guidance notes are surprisingly clear and easy to follow about how to go about the whole process and the claim form straightforward to complete.  In fact this part was the least stressful thing about doing the self build! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jac said:

In fact this part was the least stressful thing about doing the self build! 

Horses for courses I guess, I am not good at paperwork/records so preferred to spend my time doing what I knew I was good at, and as I said the vat man claimed more than I would have because he spotted errors I had made.

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

Horses for courses I guess, I am not good at paperwork/records so preferred to spend my time doing what I knew I was good at, and as I said the vat man claimed more than I would have because he spotted errors I had made.

Absolutely.  However, I just wanted folk to know the process is not difficult for the layperson to do themselves.  

• Like 2

Just for info.. I heard an advert on the radio yesterday for Quickbooks. They were saying that very soon even small businesses will have to do their VAT return electronically/digitally. Paper VAT receipts won't be acceptable soon. Doesn't affect self build yet as far as I can tell.

9 hours ago, Temp said:

Just for info.. I heard an advert on the radio yesterday for Quickbooks. They were saying that very soon even small businesses will have to do their VAT return electronically/digitally. Paper VAT receipts won't be acceptable soon. Doesn't affect self build yet as far as I can tell.

The ad may have been a bit misleading/confusing.

Paper receipts are going nowhere.

The "Making Tax Digital for VAT" scheme just means that businesses are now required to keep their VAT calculations digitally - e.g. a spreadsheet/software product listing each separate transaction with the date/amount/VAT amount etc, and use software to submit the totals from those records to HMRC without a human editing them. Rather than, for instance, putting all the receipts in a shoebox and then at the end of the quarter adding up the numbers with a calculator and putting the answers onto a paper VAT return. They can, of course, still put the receipts in a shoebox and give it to their accountant to type up into an itemised spreadsheet!

It's partly to reduce risk of error, partly to ensure people's workings are visible/auditable if they have a VAT inspection.

14 hours ago, joe90 said:

I used a VAT expert to deal with my claim and can’t speak highly enough of them, they chased some suppliers for me to get the correct invoice (which I thought was ok). In the end they claimed more fir me than I expected which more than paid fir their fee.      https://www.vat431.co.uk

Yes was thinking about getting someone to do it been quoted £500 may be worth it as there is a lot of recipts to sort through

On 01/10/2022 at 11:42, joe90 said:

Just give him a ring he is a very nice chap and has helped others here on the forum.

I used the same person. I had over 500 invoices to process and not very much time to meet the deadline. He was a lovely chap, very professional and turned everything round quickly. Highly recommended. 

• Like 1