Brick and inner skin block or brick and inner skin Timber frame

Aks

Hi I was looking for advise for our new build we have been advised by our architect to go with brick outer skin and timber frame inner skin but with new SIP tool we have been given Actis insulation which we have to do insulation by 3 layers ans we are Not sure which is cheaper and strong brick and block or brick and TF. Please advise.

It’s all down to personal choice 

Brick and block has always been cheaper than TF

More so now Due to timber prices more than doubling 

Brick and block have been largely unaffected

Though facing bricks can be in short supply Due to major house builders pre ordering 100s of thousands 

3 minutes ago, Aks said:

Could I know how

much does it costed you per square meter and where ch year it was.

It was part of a house build as well so no cost just fir the workshop I am afraid, plus it was 4 years ago and costs have risen since then.

12 hours ago, nod said:

It’s all down to personal choice 

Brick and block has always been cheaper than TF

More so now Due to timber prices more than doubling 

Brick and block have been largely unaffected

Though facing bricks can be in short supply Due to major house builders pre ordering 100s of thousands 

Thanks Nod. So there is no

advantage in choosing

inner leaf in TF than block. As you said TF is

expensive than Bock. Now as

per every one comments I can know that TF going to cost but more thank traditional one. But i was looking to know how much difference it will be around.

36 minutes ago, Aks said:

Thanks Nod. So there is no

advantage in choosing

inner leaf in TF than block. As you said TF is

expensive than Bock. Now as

per every one comments I can know that TF going to cost but more thank traditional one. But i was looking to know how much difference it will be around.

There’s a massive advantage to TF

You will. Be watertight in a couple of weeks and able to start the inside while the brickwork is going up on the outside 

But this comes at a price 

14 hours ago, Aks said:

Hi I was looking for advise for our new build we have been advised by our architect to go with brick outer skin and timber frame inner skin but with new SIP tool we have been given Actis insulation which we have to do insulation by 3 layers ans we are Not sure which is cheaper and strong brick and block or brick and TF. Please advise.

I'd go masonry every time. I have done TF and I am very happy with it, but I just prefer the robustness of block/brick builds.

I have just finished the shell of a garden office for my parents and its block/thermalite with 50mm PIR in a 100mm cavity. From foundations to wall plate it went up faster and cheaper as a single piece of work rather than building the TF, wrapping it, insulating between the studs etc. 

The masonry approach has also had many benefits through the build too such as penetrations, you just core what you need when your ready, on my TF I had to pretty much know the layout of things at a really early stage to get vent duct and pipework in and through the TF neatly and sealed up properly. It has also saved us heaps of ply as I will not need to ply the walls out before the plasterboard where wall hung cabinets etc. are going.

Things it will slow down a little will be electrical install, but in a shell of a building I will just chase and cap where needed and I think it will still be easier than fishing cables through 100's of studs!

On a bigger build, i.e. whole house, TF does have the speed to watertight benefit, but this is a benefit we often mention, but one that only impacts a small period of the buildings life. Almost as if TF is built for the benefit of the builder and then the rest of its life it's not as good as it maybe could be... just thinking aloud here, not knocking TF as I have it, but I know what I would do next time round.

Edited by Carrerahill

30 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

I'd go masonry every time. I have done TF and I am very happy with it, but I just prefer the robustness of block/brick builds.

I have just finished the shell of a garden office for my parents and its block/thermalite with 50mm PIR in a 100mm cavity. From foundations to wall plate it went up faster and cheaper as a single piece of work rather than building the TF, wrapping it, insulating between the studs etc. 

The masonry approach has also had many benefits through the build too such as penetrations, you just core what you need when your ready, on my TF I had to pretty much know the layout of things at a really early stage to get vent duct and pipework in and through the TF neatly and sealed up properly. It has also saved us heaps of ply as I will not need to ply the walls out before the plasterboard where wall hung cabinets etc. are going.

Things it will slow down a little will be electrical install, but in a shell of a building I will just chase and cap where needed and I think it will still be easier than fishing cables through 100's of studs!

On a bigger build, i.e. whole house, TF does have the speed to watertight benefit, but this is a benefit we often mention, but one that only impacts a small period of the buildings life. Almost as if TF is built for the benefit of the builder and then the rest of its life it's not as good as it maybe could be... just thinking aloud here, not knocking TF as I have it, but I know what I would do next time round.

I work on both TF and solids 

We went with solid the first time round But looked at TF for this one 

before timber prices rocketed But found it difficult to justify the extra cost Probably more so now 

In saying that Without TF I don’t think there would be anywhere near the amount of self builders